Badger 100 lg problem

T

T. van Vuuren

Can someone please advize me how to fix my Badger 100 LG airbrush.

I tried to clean the tip assembly by scraping out all the old paint one never gets to with normal cleaning.

I used a toothpic as I teconed it will do no damage.

I managed to break off the toothpic tip inside the tapering tip assembly. The ony way I could get it out was to force a fine bristle from a steelbrush in the front.It removed the debries.

I re-assembled everything and put neat thinners in to test it.No spray trail comes from the tip, only lots of air bubbles from the bottom of the cup.If I remove the from ajustable "nozle regulator" there is a stream of fine droplets coming from the needle /tip assebmly, so I don't think anything is blocked there.

As son as the regulator goes on the spray stops and the bubbles re-apear. All the little holed everywhere looks like they are open so I can't see why it would work like it was blocked.

Could I vave damaged the tipassembly somehow? Would it then still give the steady stream of fine droplets if it was damaged?

Thanx

Theuns

B

Bunnybites

Hi,

If the tip looks undamaged? it sounds like theres still a block some where. I would take the brush apart and give it a deep clean, you can get some fine wire cleaning brushes to really clean the insides out, and if it still dont work then its replacement part time.

hope this helps

jim

T

T. van Vuuren

I had a goog look at the tip assembly with a magnifying glass now and as far as I can see it is ok, all the holes are open aswell.

When I try to spray an I keep my thumb over the top of the pot I can clearly feel the pressure buildup.This would usually be a block in the paint/air channels, but as I said all are open. What else can couse this backpressure???

What can I use to dunk the whole thing in for a couple of days to hopefully soften whatever causes the block? Will laqure thinners work?

Theuns

T

tecdes

Hi Theuns. A pretty pickle. First I would get as has been said a set of brushes. They are all of different shapes & sizes. I also have a set of wires for reaming out different parts. Also you need a little reamer made specially for the nozzle. These are not expensive & will last more or less for ever.

With your airbrush I would first test the air. Seems it is a two stage brush so just press down the button without pulling back for paint. If the air is coming through the nozzle area then it all points to a paint problem.

First as you have already taken it apart have you tightened up the needle to the pull back lever arrangment. That is can you see the needle move back from the nozzle.

Have you been able to ream out the nozzle that the needle sits in. When taken apart can you see through, against a white well lit background, the little hole in the nozzle ? It all points to the nozzle needle part not working if the air is getting through.

I take it the needle is clean & the end not damaged. Need to look through a magnifier to see. Careful here to get it in focus otherwise it looks as is you have two prongs on the end of the needle.

Take out the needle & nozzle & very very gently feed the needle into the nozzle to see if it fits & moves backwards & forwards well. That the needle projects fractionally from the front of the nozzle.

After all that I find it difficult to suggest from my short experience another route to take.

Laurie

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx

I have inspected all the little holes in the tip assembly, the 3 air holes and the 1 centre painthole is clear, the air duckt from the boddy to the tip assembly is clear.The needle goes into and protudes from the tip very nicely, no hooks on the needle.

I can for the life of me not see where the problem lies, it should be very simple, but allas.

All I can do is to replace the needle and tip assembly, but this will put me back arround 32 Squidd! That is 3 nice 1/72 scale planes :sad:

But without the airbrush I woon't be able to paint anythig anyway............darn!!!!

Theuns

T

tecdes

Yes I sympathise with you Theuns.

Have you tried just water & not paint. All very strange. Unless the nozzle & or needle are damaged you may have the same result or no result with new ones.

I trust you have a good pressure of air coming out of the nozzle end ?

Put airbrush trouble shooter in your search engine & you will find a lot coming up which may help you. Sorry that I can not help any more.

Laurie

T

T. van Vuuren

No worries mate.

Yes the presure is more than enough. I recon I busted the needle/tip assembly.

Theuns

F

FMTango

hey T, I am new here today but let me offer some helpfull advice for that particular ab. 1. the color tip,the brass tip, should be real clear from paint material and a good portion of the needle should protrude from the tip at about 1/16 inch, sorry thats what we use here in the states. If it does then soak the brush for a good deep cleaning and never use a tooth pick to clean with as you have found out why.

If you use acrylics I usually soak my stuff in acetone or window cleaner and keep it there untill it comes out paste like from the color nozzle. 2. use some petrolium jelly on the threads of both tip pieces as this helps to thread it into the brush and it keeps down on the air leakage. Remove the needle and clean it well as this can often hinder performance.

If you cannot get the tip cleaned then they should not be so expensive as to be prohibitive to purchase a complete tip set. Oh and make sure that the nylon washer isnt cracked or worn as this is the reason for the washer anyway. I hope this helps and you get back to painting quickly...Paul

T

T. van Vuuren

I eventually bit the bullet and just forked out the loot to get this darn thing fixed. I replaced the needle bearing, still the backblow percisted so I just bought a whole new tip/head assembly and the thing now works like a charm (arround 20 Quid later)

I must have split or flared the tip when I last cleaned it , but even with a magnifyng lens I could not see it. Just goes to show how fine and sensitive these things are!

But now I can get on with completing my 1/48 262

Theuns