Badger compressor BA1000

R

rob7

hi all,

well i finally took the big step to take this modelling lark a bit more seriously so I've invested in an airbrush (Aztek 4809 set) and as above a Badger BA1000 piston compressor (has a guage, water trap, air filter and regulator), I dont have a tank of any sort. I've watched the dvd about the airbrush and that seems to be ok, just a case of getting used to it. its the compressor that i have a couple of questions about so here goes, hopefully you guys can put me straight.

I connected it all together turned it on and the guage went upto 60psi then turned itself off untill it dropped back down to about 40psi. when i press the trigger fully on the brush the pressure drops to around 20/25psi, then lifting my finger of a touch the pressure goes up and down. so figure this is how its all controlled, but it never goes above the 20/25psi, is this correct?or am i being a numpty and using it wrong already

the next question is the glass "jar" where the air filter is has a valve on the bottom and it seems that air builds up in there, if you try to press the vale to release pressure it is ver hard and then a sudden rush of air. there is a red plastic nut on the top of the regulator that "loosens" the top, a bit like a pressure cooker valve, is this supposed to be loosened off when spraying?

I've not got round to putting paint in yet I'm jsut trying to get my head round the workings of it all. sorry if this is asking the same as others but just went through all the 154 posts and although i got some info, I'm hoping someone else has the same set up I have now. if this works out an i get into it I dare say i will get new kit after getting used to the game/skills I hopee to pick up.

cheers - Rob

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
wish i could help you but im new to the airbrush set up myself have you looked on you tube

R

rob7

Hi John,

yeah, does seem a bit of a minefield lol, i see your in west brom, I'm over in oldbury, got all my stuff from MrModels in bearwood, seems a good guy and knows whats what. just a bit confused over the pressure n stuff on the compressor, hopefully someone will help me out here. thanks for the link, had seen it as been all over youtube and read loads of reviews on the airbrush, just after someone showing or telling me if whats happening is normal lol

Rob

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
hi rob from what i"ve read and seen when spraying you should be between 15/ 20 but i"m no expert .mr models i was over there this week getting some stuff he"d had abit of a tidy up i could"nt see the wood for the trees the other week.some of his stuff as been sitting there awhile he should have a sale get rid of his old stock.anyways i"m alot like youself strugling with this airbrush set up . i got mine from amazon cheap set up £70.00 wish i"d have got something decent now cause i feel this is letting me down keeps getting very hot .thinking of iwata just looking at them now. there are some good lads on here they will put you straight did you look at the airbrush compressor forum . let me know how you get on all the best mate

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
well all i can tell you is what i did to mine i don"t know if its right but anyways the red collar i have taken off i put plumbers mate tape on all threaded conections to stop any possible air leaks when i spray its 15 /20 pressure my paints i thin right down someone told me to use model air straight from the jar and i did its amazing stuff no messing around just sprays straight away best i"ve used yet.my compressor gets very hot i"m not sure if this is normal or not i think there is a limited time of how long you can use them before you give them a rest. i think after numerous sessions of test subjects old model etc i am begining to master it a little bit i think it starts of slowly then all of a sudden you will crack it . i expected to pick it up and be amazing with it but thats not the case just keep gong

D

dubster72

Hi Rob

Your compressor is basically the same as mine ( the AS 18 ) so I'll give you some idea of what I've discovered over the past 3 years.

To change the pressure, you pull the black knob up & turn it clockwise or anti clockwise until you're happy, then release the knob. With this compressor, I've found the 'true' indicated pressure is found with the airbrush running ie depress the trigger & then set your pressure.

If you set the pressure without doing this, it will drop once the airbrush trigger is pressed.

A good setting for most work is 15 - 20 psi, you don't need more except for cleaning, in which case you crank it up high.

The red ring at the base of the black knob shouldn't be removed or you'll cause leaks.

The glass jar is the moisture trap. The release button is usually a bit stiff to use as it's being held in by the pressure in the system. Press it every 20 minutes or so to release any trapped moisture.

All compressors get hot during use because the act of compressing air produces heat. If you've ever owned a turbo car, you'll know it gets pretty toasty under the bonnet & that's the same principal.

I use a fan with cool packs to provide colder air both around the compressor & going into it which helps a lot.

There's no quick route to learning how to use your set-up other than practice, practice & more practice! Give it a go & don't be put off by any failures coz there's a solution to any problem.

I hope this helps & let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Patrick

R

rob7

hi Patrick,

perfect advice, now all seems well in the land of rob lol, can you jsut sort me with perfect results on airbrushing now, need to be expert by tomorrow cos thats when i want to build me a model lol.

seriously though, now i have it sounding right, I just have to master the airbrush, methinks this could take a little longer than a post so expect a few more stupid questions.

many thanks again patrick

cheers - Rob

D

dubster72

No worries Rob, glad to help! Ask anything you like, that's what the forum is for - to share knowledge & (hopefully) prevent others making the mistakes we've already done!

Cheers

Patrick