Bandai X-Wing

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Here's the first of the Bandai Star Wars kits I've bought over the last few weeks. I did a brief review when I posted in Latest Acquisitons so straight on with the build.

The box

Box2.JPG

Instruction page

Instructions.JPG

Clear and easy to understand despite being in Japanese.

Markings

Markings.JPG

You get both waterslide decals and paper stickers - lots and lots! Some of these I won't use as they're too small for me. Here's BB8 sat on top of a Vallejo bottle. He has 6 decals all to himself! I think I'll just try to drybrush his markings as there is raised detail.

DSC02417.JPG

Sample sprue

Sprue1.JPG

The build was a piece of cake. The parts snap fit together beautifully but I used a little glue here and there to make sure it doesn't fall apart on me. You can build it gear down or gear up and they provide a stand for the latter.

It took me about an hour to get it built and masked. They supply two canopies. One is transparent and can be shown open (my plan). The other is moulded in grey plastic and closed. I used this to mask the cockpit and Clever Putty for the recessed engine parts. Apologies but I forgot to take pictures so you'll have to wait to see these and the cockpit when I unmask.

masked.JPG

I'm not sure if I'll paint the blue parts. I'll see what it looks like after doing the grey. Here it is primed with Stynylrez (thinned with IPA it gives a beautiful finish - what do you guys use to clean your A/B after using it?)

Primed.JPG

The undercarriage painted and washed

Legs.JPG

There are two pilot figures. One sitting and one standing. I'll probably put this on a simple base with this figure talking to the pilot

Figure.JPG

Painted light grey. I mixed this from Vallejo Light Grey and White - about 30% : 70%. It may still be too dark. I'll have a look when I've given it a coat of Klear.

DSC02416.JPG

That's it for now.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
what a great start on this one ,looking good already ;)

F

Fenlander

Told you they go together quick. They are superb kits. Doing a great job Dave.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Couple of questions folks.

1) The body of BB8 is a smooth sphere so why did Bandai add raised detail for the markings? I know it makes painting simpler, but it also causes the need to paint because I really don't think the decals will lay down on raised details on a small spherical surface.

2) If I wanted to demonstrate how silvering occurred, I'd paint some plastic with a textured paint to cause a rough surface - right? I've just achieved a perfect rough surface for silvering by spraying Klear on my X-Wing! Could someone please tell me how I managed to get a rough surface using a self-levelling gloss varnish?

First Name
Robert
His is looking great and as I saw the film a wee while ago now it'll bring back sweet memories ( defo like the BB8 ) as you say he should be smooth ( maybe it was the moulding that gave him the raised detail so once the decals in place he was smooth??

Great work and I like the idea of using IPA with Vallejo paints ( always thought had to use their thinners!!

Regards

Robert

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
His is looking great and as I saw the film a wee while ago now it'll bring back sweet memories ( defo like the BB8 ) as you say he should be smooth ( maybe it was the moulding that gave him the raised detail so once the decals in place he was smooth??
Great work and I like the idea of using IPA with Vallejo paints ( always thought had to use their thinners!!

Regards

Robert
I only used IPA with the Stynylrez. For the Vallejo paints I'm using Ultimate thinner.