Basic Paint Primer Question

J

JapanSFguy

I am almost embarrassed to ask this question, but I think I need some remedial education in priming and painting. I recently stripped the paint off an old metal locomotive shell with acetone, and re-primed it with Floquil grey primer (enamel). After letting the primer set for 24 hours, I put a top coat of Floquil black enamel over it. The primer bled through the black, making a mucky grey in spots. (BTW, these paints were brushed, not sprayed.) Seems like the enamel reacted to the top coat.

So, is it a no-no to use enamel top coat over an enamel primer? Should I alternate acrylic and enamel coats? Use different brands?

Any help appreciated!

Rob

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You definitely don't want to put enamel over acrylic,though the other way around should be alright.

The system you used should be okay. I wonder whether the primer was entirely cured. Generally twenty four hours should be fine but I have had occasions when paints,despite seeming dry,have not finished curing for much longer.

I'm guessing that you are not new to the trials and tribulations of modelling and that you wouldn't have over worked your top coat which may drag up earlier coats.

Cheers

Steve

J

JapanSFguy

Enamel Primer

Yes, I've been modeling on and off for awhile - getting back into it more seriously now - and I was surprised that the primer came up with the top coat. I did not work over the top coat, as I have had bad luck with that before. The primer seemed to combine with the top coat almost instantly. Perhaps it wasn't cured after all. I was beginning to doubt myself, as I have used enamel primer and enamel top coats many times before, but never on a metal shell.

S

sprayman

Floquil is a fair to good primer, but it needs attention, Floquil does not dry it cures, it may be "touch dry" within the hour, but to be safe Floquil needs a good 2 or 3 days to cure to be at its best.

Last edited:
J

JapanSFguy

Best Primer?

I guess I went with Floquil because that's what I used many years back. What do you suggest as a better brush-on primer (for plastics primarily, which is what I usually work on)?