Battered Bergepanther With Large Chips.

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Well, for better or worse, 'tis finished.

The tracks are still as awful as they were 30 years ago, I can see why people spend the extra on the aftermarket ones.

But as an exercise in patience and techniques it has been a good practice and also fun. Planning a little dio for it soon.

Anyway, here you go.

HLFr9mm.jpg

EV95vcH.jpg

rJmWidZ.jpg

WQ1orA7.jpg

GkMFPni.jpg

xl0FP2c.jpg

DLiSkaH.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dan
Well I reckon that has come out very well. You have achieved what you set out to do. A well used old workhorse.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dan

Absolutely no complaints from me. Very well done indeed. Very nicely worn indeed.

ATB.

Andrew

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Dan that's fantastic mate

Lee

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
EVERYONE.

Thank you for your encouragement & inspiration.

I'm so glad I got back into kit building & found this forum. I've gained a lot from your projects.

Yes, I'm quietly very pleased with how the Bergepanther came out and have learned a lot from finishing it.

Flak 88 is next in 1/35 but before that I've got me a rusty 59 Caddy to build. This one's going to have some really big rust issues !

Cheers,

Dan.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well done Dan, an exercise in weathering which passes muster ok.

The Committee here at Race Towers have awarded you the .2020DB.jpg

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
As they did. PaulE
I've been scouring pictures on that internet and they don't seem to have any obvious recurring rust points. I'll just go for the usual places. like seams , panel edges & mud collection areas. Interestingly the coach built stuff ( limos, ambulances, etc ) all seem to fall apart where the leaded seams are !!

I've got some ideas though.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I've been scouring pictures on that internet and they don't seem to have any obvious recurring rust points. I'll just go for the usual places. like seams , panel edges & mud collection areas. Interestingly the coach built stuff ( limos, ambulances, etc ) all seem to fall apart where the leaded seams are !!

I've got some ideas though.
Any rust holes would mostly bottom of front wings behind the wheels and same with rear quarter panels,bottom of sill panelsand possibly door bottoms, these old cars were made of thick stuff so you would get more surface rust on things like the roof,tops of wings etc before any major holes.last year I done some welding on a 68 oldsmobile,it was the first bit of welding it's ever had for rust!! And it hasn't ever been cavity waxed!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Wow, that was one expensive Olds. I expect you don't salt your roads in the winter. The source of most rust on US cars in those days, although cars often run on ocean beaches were also susceptible. PaulE

Reactions: JR

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Wow, that was one expensive Olds. I expect you don't salt your roads in the winter. The source of most rust on US cars in those days, although cars often run on ocean beaches were also susceptible. PaulE
Wasn't to bad,old mercs are the one to watch out for,biggest rust buckets I've ever worked on!

Reactions: JR

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Wasn't to bad,old mercs are the one to watch out for,biggest rust buckets I've ever worked on!
Not worked on a Ford Cortina MkIV then? :dizzy:
Though thinking about it - the worst rustbucket I've ever had, was a Subaru Station Wagon - literally fell apart - they used foam rubber as baulkhead lining!

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Not worked on a Ford Cortina MkIV then? :dizzy:
Though thinking about it - the worst rustbucket I've ever had, was a Subaru Station Wagon - literally fell apart - they used foam rubber as baulkhead lining!
Britain never could build a car that didn't rot,and Japs used poor quality metal,mercs put so much sealer and sound deadening they would rot away for years behind it before you knew anything about it! They were banking on the fact that anyone who could afford one back in the 50s and 60s would never find out how bad they got because they would only have it a few years then buy the newer model before problems arose!35 years as a panel beater and probably 20 of them doing restoration work,10 years specifically restoring mercs, mainly pergoda sl's,wouldn't touch a classic merc with a barge pole now.

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
They were banking on the fact that anyone who could afford one back in the 50s and 60s would never find out how bad they got because they would only have it a few years then buy the newer model before problems arose.

.....Which is the same situation today, only now it's the ridiculous electronics, CPU's and sensors that will render the cars financially unviable in 10 years time. That and supposed "green" issues.

As a long time daily user of older cars, I'm quite happy to put up with the lack of modern technological 'advances' for a simple life and an interesting fleet. When I was 3 me and my folks drove to the South of France in a Morris Traveller. It was fine and we didn't die or anything.

Anyway, excuse the thread jack. Oh, hang on, it was my thread......

Should have saved the Caddy talk for the Caddy build. Continuing research leads me to believe that they just rust like any other car as I thought, so that's what I'll aim or. I have seen a few with the front bumpers hanging off so I must assume that's a "thing"

If I do a build thread for the rusty Caddy you're all welcome to come and spam the be'jesus out of that.

But get off my damn Beregepanther.

bP6xYpr.jpg