Battlestar Galactica Viper MkVII

B

beav1013

Hello all. Here's my version of the Mk VII Viper from the new BSG series. Some of you might have looked at my Viper Mk II that I had decal problems with. I was unable clean that up the way I wanted, so I got a new one when i got this Mk VII. I plan on doing the Mk II some time soon, and having them face off against each other. If you watched the show, this fighter belongs to the Pegasus. I don't ever remember the pilot "Narcho" on the show (stupid call sign) but i really wanted to do the Pegasus version due to the cool art work.

Anywho, this took a couple weeks on and off. It really was a simple kit to put together. I had to use 5 minute epoxy to get the big pieces together due to some poor fits here and there. i had to do a couple rounds of filling and sanding on the underside that came out really well on one wing and not the other. i tried to hide it with weathering. the engines are alclad II steel with a light misting of alclad aluminum over it to lighten it up a bit. This was my first attempt with alclad and thought it was great to work with. excellent metallic paint.

The rest was my usual tamiya paints through an airbrush, weathered with pastels, enamels paints for the wear and tear, and a chalk pastel wash over the whole thing.

i tried to do the weathering by using fine grit sandpaper on the blue coat to reveal the light grey undercoat, but that didn't turn out too well. so the grey and black smudges are actually over top of the blue. The stand is pretty cool. All of the detail is actually underneath the stand, so i dry brushed it first, then painted black over it.

Overall a really nice kit and should look nice next to my Mk II when i get that done. I also have the BSG itself in my stash. i'll get to that someday.

Hope you like.

View attachment 38444

View attachment 38445

View attachment 38446

View attachment 38447

View attachment 38448

View attachment 38449

View attachment 38450

DSCN3722.jpg

DSCN3716.jpg

DSCN3717.jpg

DSCN3718.jpg

DSCN3719.jpg

DSCN3720.jpg

DSCN3721.jpg

A

Armorbuilder65

VERY nice. Although I'm not much of fan of the new series(I prefer the original series, myself) your build and paint job is fabulous! Well done:smiling3:

Robert:smiling3:

B

beav1013

thanks robert. i've only seen a couple episodes of the original series, the campiness was a little too much for me. although i guess at the time it wasn't that bad. kind of inline with the adam west batman (but obviously not that bad). i really liked the new series, although there were some aspects of it that i didn't like. the new vipers though i really liked. the mkII is pretty similar to the original series but a little updated. great ships all around.

thanks for the comment.

A

Armorbuilder65

\ said:
thanks robert. i've only seen a couple episodes of the original series, the campiness was a little too much for me. although i guess at the time it wasn't that bad. kind of inline with the adam west batman (but obviously not that bad). i really liked the new series, although there were some aspects of it that i didn't like. the new vipers though i really liked. the mkII is pretty similar to the original series but a little updated. great ships all around.thanks for the comment.
Yeah, the show is definately campy, but it was pretty cool back in 1978(I was 13 years old!) Man, I feel OLD!

Robert

First Name
Dave
The Viper looks really good.You just need a Cylon Raider to go with it.As for the series, i prefer the new one.The original was good in its day and im old enough to remember Lorne Green (admiral adama) as Hoss Cartwright in 'Bonanza'!.I think the newer series is a lot darker and the characters are more believeable (if that makes sense).

B

beav1013

thanks Dave. moebius has had a picture of the cylon raider on boxes and their site for a while now with "Coming Soon" there the whole time. Been at least a year now... whenever that comes out i'm definitely getting one.

P

phalinmegob

i really enjoyed both series, but i think the new series just wins, still think starbuck should of been a man though.love your viper, well done, i am gonna start the moebius mk2 soon.

B

beav1013

thanks andrew. just a tip of advice... i had a mkII that i did months ago. when i got to the decals, it all went to hell. mainly the galactica insignias on the wings. i'm a bit anal about that stuff so i scrapped it and got another one. but i had a ton of trouble with the decals on that kit, and the cockpit ones. i was better prepared this time, but just be careful when you do yours. lots of decal solution, good gloss base should got a long way.

P

phalinmegob

nice one, will remeber that, have not even opened the box yet, been sitting on the shelf for four months looking at me.

N

noble

Hi Jim what a cracker i love it, although i love the original series better however excellent job mate.

scott

B

beav1013

thanks guys. glad you like it.

andrew, if you plan on using the decals for the stripes, i can't really comment on them since i painted my stripes. but if you paint the stripes, i would put the bsg insignia on the top of the wings first (if you're going to use them at all). the problem was that they are barely visible. the only options if you want to use them are to double up on the top (you'll have 4, 2 for top and bottom) or don't use them at all.

i plan on not using mine at all after my previous experience.

B

beav1013

i should've included a poll for people to vote for the original or new bsg series. looks like lots of original series voters on here.