"Before Bovington" Tiger and a few more

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Here we go, "Before Bovington". I have taken my time on this one (or should that be three), and had fun working with pastel chalk in the process. It was the first time i've used it for modelling, and i like useing it too.

I hope you enjoy the pics.

And the customary Photobucket photo.

Havd fun, John

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Beautifully made with a nice, simple story. I like it.

Absolutely typical of b****y officers - never know where they're going 'til you're halfway to the wrong place!

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
What a perfect way to liven up a miserable day in my shop......Good 'ol 131 !!

This is summat else John. Absolutely spot on. To have one great model is good, but three... AND a hacked off Rommel, is indeed a treat!

Well done.

:bravo: Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
i have no idea whats going on ,except that i think bovington is a tank museum,maybe one of these ended up there.But ignoring my ignorance (?!)this is just SUPERB! well done john, you always captivate me with your brilliant set pieces .I only hope i can do half as well when i produce a finished armour model ,seeing yours,rons,scotts ,toms(apologies to anyone ive forgotten!) inspired me to do some armour and start planning a dio!!surely what the spirit of this forum is all about? once again ,give yourself a pat on the back . cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
i have no idea whats going on ,except that i think bovington is a tank museum,maybe one of these ended up there.But ignoring my ignorance (?!)this is just SUPERB! well done john, you always captivate me with your brilliant set pieces .I only hope i can do half as well when i produce a finished armour model ,seeing yours,rons,scotts ,toms(apologies to anyone ive forgotten!) inspired me to do some armour and start planning a dio!!surely what the spirit of this forum is all about? once again ,give yourself a pat on the back . cheers tony
Just a quicky, I'm sure John will fill in the details......131 refers to the Tiger in his dio. It was disabled during WW2 in, I think, Africa and eventually ended up in Bovington, where it has had a complete overhaul.

Tell 'em more John!

Once again well done on a superb diorama.

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
A big thank you to all for your comments, i really did enjoy building this dio. Thing is, now i don't know how i could top this one.

For Tony, Tiger 131.

Captured on the battlefield in Tunisia 1943, it was soon shipped back to England for assessment, completely dismantled and gutted, it was later given to The Tank Museum, Bovington, where in 1992 an ambitious project was launched to restore the tank to full running order.

Have fun, John

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely superb, I do enjoy a good diorama and this is one of those that you could enjoy looking at for a long time.

S

Sky Raider

Brilliant stuff mate, well done. Now then, as christmas looms ever closer how about some of you guys doing a snow scene. I have seen everything but nothing with snow on it.

Cheers

Andy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Brilliant stuff mate, well done. Now then, as christmas looms ever closer how about some of you guys doing a snow scene. I have seen everything but nothing with snow on it. Cheers

Andy
Andy, Scott, aka noble has done a cracker recently and I have a modest snowy one called 'snow tiger' in my gallery.

I feel sure one will be coming along soon from someone..............!!!!

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Many thanks lads for the comments.

Ooooh snow, nice. I have a T34/85 and Sd.Kfz.251/1 AUSF.C in my stash, now then, snow and tank or, snow and halftrack. It's got to be the T34.

Thanks again, John

D

dubster72

Hi John, that's a great dio! It's not always easy to tackle desert scenes but in the b/w pic, it looks so authentic which is a testament to your skill. One thing though, perhaps the AFV's need a wash to bring out the detail some more?

And did I hear snow mentioned? Here's a hint :wink:

Patrick

View attachment 20034

View attachment 20035

snow1.jpg

snow2.jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Hi John, that's a great dio! It's not always easy to tackle desert scenes but in the b/w pic, it looks so authentic which is a testament to your skill. One thing though, perhaps the AFV's need a wash to bring out the detail some more?And did I hear snow mentioned? Here's a hint :wink:

Patrick
Hi Patrick and thanks for your input. You see, i did give the models a wash of burnt umber. Infact they was given two but, as soon as the pastels went on for the dust and sand the wash started to disappear. A couple of years in the desert and dust gets everywhere lol.

This photo is before the pastels dust.

D

dubster72

Ahh! I see! Perish that pastel dust but it's good to know before I start applying the stuff willy-nilly!

Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Hi Patrick and thanks for your input. You see, i did give the models a wash of burnt umber. Infact they was given two but, as soon as the pastels went on for the dust and sand the wash started to disappear. A couple of years in the desert and dust gets everywhere lol.This photo is before the pastels dust.
John, I like the looks of this kit. I have the Panzer V1 so i presume this is the 111.(3) Can you let me know please, also what make of kit it is as it's got nice detailing....I still chuckle when I see Rommel on your big dio., talk about fed up....A bit like the bren gunner in your previous work!LOL

Cheers,

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
You know all, with all the excitement i've forgot to tell you. Oops, me bad. Right then, all Tamiya in 1/48 scale, the base is a memo board at £1 each (so i got a good few). The pastels are from a pound shop and was only 69p. You get about 20 sticks in the box so, i think there will be enough to do the Sahara.

John

Ps, Yes Ron mate, it's the Panzer 111. Great kit to build too.

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Is there a 1/72 scale?
I have found one for you...If you go to 'the modeller.com' they have them @ £6.16 + £1.00 p/p.

Hope this helps, sorry to go off thread a bit John!

cheers,

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
sorry to go off thread a bit John!cheers,

Ron
No problem Ron nice one, thats what we're all here for matey. To help out when needed.

Have fun, John