Begginers weathering kits or brands?

T

tenchu11

I saw at my local shop Tamiya weathering supplies. They look like make up kits, i've used model master acrylic washes but have yet made the leap to enamel (shop owner says its better) washes. What are good all around sets or brands to try out for some one looking to start washes, and weathering.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
personally ive never liked those kits, they have their uses at times but theres better ways of doing things i find

D

dubster72

Your choice comes down to buying pre-mixed stuff or making your own.

The former is much more expensive & ultimately limits what you can do. It is slightly more convenient I guess.

Personally, washes I make as needed from oil paints. They're easy to use & remain workable for much longer than acrylics or even enamels.

Instead of the Tamiya weathering kits, buy some artists soft pastels - grind them up & apply ' as is ', or via a medium such as white spirit for a 'sludge wash ' to create dust effects.

That's what I did on my SU-152.

View attachment 89329

The rest of weathering is done with paint - sponge chipping, salt chipping, hairspray technique etc.

Cheers

Patrick

IMG_0005-1.jpg

T

tenchu11

\ said:
Your choice comes down to buying pre-mixed stuff or making your own.The former is much more expensive & ultimately limits what you can do. It is slightly more convenient I guess.

Personally, washes I make as needed from oil paints. They're easy to use & remain workable for much longer than acrylics or even enamels.

Instead of the Tamiya weathering kits, buy some artists soft pastels - grind them up & apply ' as is ', or via a medium such as white spirit for a 'sludge wash ' to create dust effects.

That's what I did on my SU-152.

View attachment 90025

The rest of weathering is done with paint - sponge chipping, salt chipping, hairspray technique etc.

Cheers

Patrick
How do you make your own? Seems like just the tip of the iceberg seems like theirs tons of techniques.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi ,both what have been said is very good info, o_O well what i do with the pastels is use your hobby knife and scrape it down words, into a clean jam jar lid or

some think with only a small lip.and just shave off as much as needed, if you buy one by one, may pay about 2 to 3

dollars each or try to get a set of cheap ones ,which is earth colors, drown,grays,tans, these types of color,s :rolleyes:

hope thats of some help

i just get the cheapest i can find, is the key, ;) maybe try evilbay

D

dubster72

As Moni said, with pastels I do the same thing & scrape as much as I need with a craft knife. I then grind them down further to a fine dust.

Oil washes are simplicity itself. Take a small amount of paint & thin with white spirit according to taste or need.

Trial & error, practice, experimentation all lead to a way that you're happy with. There's no substitute for trying stuff out because all the advice or YouTube vids in the world can't replicate actually doing it for real.

A set of oils & pastels will probably cost less than $10 so it's a worthwhile investment. Especially as oils can be used for figure painting too.

First Name
Aaron
Only mig pigment for me.

Ak washes and streaks are very handy due to the awesome colors available, oil paints diluted are also a valid way to go especially for washes and filters.