(Beginner) Received a part with a large crack, how can I fix this?

N

notflip

I'm a bit worried since this is my first model I'll be building.
I just saw that the largest part of the model (Spitfire MK5 by Revell) has this crack running through the middle.

How should I go about fixing this?
Thank you!
20190408_211604-jpg.335787

Attachments

• 20190408_211604.jpg
    20190408_211604.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
It should just glue back together as by the looks of it you will have some other piece that fits over the top so it shouldn't show.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
You have two options.
  1. Glue it back together
  2. Ask Revell for a new part

N

notflip

It should just glue back together as by the looks of it you will have some other piece that fits over the top so it shouldn't show.
I have to press the wings together very hard to keep the crease together, What type of glue is strong and fast enough for that to work?
It also feels like I'm putting stress on the plastic..

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I have to press the wings together very hard to keep the crease together, What type of glue is strong and fast enough for that to work?
It also feels like I'm putting stress on the plastic..
I would suggest super glue but not having that kind of problem it's what I would do but you may get better suggestions

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Miguel
Before you glue the crack check the fit of parts that fix into the space where the crack is. It would be a shame to glue the crack and then find the space was too tight.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I think you ought to ask Revell for a replacement. The fact that the crack is open shows that there is some stress in the remaining part. However, if you want to try to save it, you could tape or clamp the wing to something straight so the crack is closed, then apply enough thin cement to seep into the crack. Then leave it alone for a couple of hours.

Pete

N

notflip

I think you ought to ask Revell for a replacement. The fact that the crack is open shows that there is some stress in the remaining part. However, if you want to try to save it, you could tape or clamp the wing to something straight so the crack is closed, then apply enough thin cement to seep into the crack. Then leave it alone for a couple of hours.

Pete
Do they have a service that does that? I might just do it, just so my first ever model starts off from pristine, I tried to apply a tiny bit of cement, we'll see what happens, thanks for the advice everyone.

N

notflip

Hi Miguel
Before you glue the crack check the fit of parts that fix into the space where the crack is. It would be a shame to glue the crack and then find the space was too tight.
Jim
Thanks Jim! Very good suggestion, All parts are still attached to the sprues, I do see now that there will be a part covering it up, so I'll see if I ping Revell to see how their customer service is, otherwise just leave it for now and deal with it when that part comes back to surface in the building plans!

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Miguel,
Yes Revel do have that service, if you search for the Revel homepage and contact them through that, unfortunately I doubt you will get a reply but the replacement part should turnup in about 28 days.
What I would to is construct the kit up to the attaching the wings to the fuselage and at that point sparingly use contacta cement along the crack whilst gluing the wings to the fuselage.
regards Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is in a place that is hidden by other parts.
Look further in the instructions and find the part(s) that cover it and you will probably see that there is no need to repair the crack.
As said if you start clamping and glue it you might have problems fitting things after. Revell can send a new part but the wait can be long. Also if the kit is no longer in production yuo will not get the part.
Can I also point out that the section that you posted this in is intended for people to post instructional tutorials, not a place to ask general building questions. I have moved it to Modelling chat.

N

notflip

This is in a place that is hidden by other parts.
Look further in the instructions and find the part(s) that cover it and you will probably see that there is no need to repair the crack.
As said if you start clamping and glue it you might have problems fitting things after. Revell can send a new part but the wait can be long. Also if the kit is no longer in production yuo will not get the part.
Can I also point out that the section that you posted this in is intended for people to post instructional tutorials, not a place to ask general building questions. I have moved it to Modelling chat.
Thanks Ian! Good to know about the Modelling Chat, I'll watch my posting location next time. As for the crack, I closed it with a bit of cement, since the part that will fit on top still has to be modelled, thanks for the advice.