Being bashed ! Italeri 1/72 Tupolev tu22 Blinder

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi all, after the Backfire i couldnt wait to get another soviet biggie on the go ,so here is the 1/72 Italeri tupolev tu 22 Blinder . After reading a lot of reviews and doing a bit of research it appears this kit is another one that was tooled a while back when info on soviet stuff was scarce/classified. Consequently its a bit (!!!) inaccurate, mainly the fuselage is 1" too short , the engines are too far apart and too long, and the tailplanes are the wrong shape and too far forward. Now i could just build it OOB ,but knowing the errors are there would bug me to death! so its out with the tools!!! There is a resin correction kit available but i thought i'd give it a bash and see if i could do the alterations myself. The fuselage is , helpfully, split just at the front of the wing so i assembled the two halves then made a mould of the top and bottom halves by using plasticene in a cut in half aerosol lid. I then filled the plasticene mould with car body filler and ended up with a top and bottom of about the same section as the fuselage at this point . I joined these two with epoxy resin and when cured cut it into a 1" long plug.Thats as far as ive got , the next thing is to figure out how to join the 3 bits and get it looking seamless!! here are some pics cheers tony

View attachment 41175

View attachment 41176

View attachment 41177

View attachment 41178

View attachment 41179

View attachment 41180

View attachment 41181

View attachment 41182

P1100324 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100332 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100333 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100334 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100335 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100336 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100337 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100338 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like some hard work ahead of you Tony but with your skills i'm sure you will beat it into submission

First Name
Dave
A good start Tony.Looks like i will have to get in quick and buy up Johns green putty stock.Looks like you will be needing some (lots?) for this project!.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
A good start Tony.Looks like i will have to get in quick and buy up Johns green putty stock.Looks like you will be needing some (lots?) for this project!.
No s**t dave !! Im going to need the industrial size drum!!LOL!! Only drawback is that i was hoping to do it in the natural metal soviet scheme ,so the finish has got to be pretty good or it will stand out like a sore thumb (which is probably what im going to get after all this sanding!!!) cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
A bit more progress today, ive superglued the plug in and got the trowel out!!! I used humbrol filler as i think its not as porous as the squadron green stuff once it hardens, and will probably stand up to the coarse dry sanding thats coming next. cheers tony

View attachment 41462

View attachment 41463

P1100340 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100341 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers ian , its going to be a very repetitive process-- sand ,fill,sand,fill,sand,fill etc!!!!!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
The modifications are coming along nicely Tony. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. Keep the good work up.

Vaughan

First Name
Dave
Its all good practise for if you one day decide to tackle a vacfofm Tony!.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Its funny you should say that dave! I was eyeing up a very cheap vac form Yak 17 on e-bay the other day, but i bottled it! Its not the filling and sanding or cutting out, its just the drama of either making or sourcing the detail bits like undercarriage legs etc. Ive also been tempted by some 1/32 VF's too , great subjects like meteor f8 , jaguar gr1 etc but again the details would be a pain , especially in the large scale as they would have to be spot on.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Oh no, I've just checked, it's something Russian ! Well good luck old chap, this should see you through until Christmas, 2012.................

Colin M..

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Its probably not quite as bad as the airfix vulcan colin! its just had a shedload of green filler pasted on it so things are going to get messy pretty soon!!!! cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Yo Tony, now that's what I call butchering!

Great thread. Cracking stuff mate...

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
latest installment, the green stuff is plastered on and the elevators are marked out ready for cutting down to size. Ron , nice to see you back hope you had a nice break, cheers tony

View attachment 41560

P1100343 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Deja Vu anyone? This is the fourth load of green stuff and probably wont be the last, but its getting there ,and i think ive got rid of the dip on the spine above the plug. Back to the sanding stick!! tony

View attachment 41866

View attachment 41867

P1100353 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100354 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Finally! After Fill,sand, prime and repeat about 7 times , i reckon its smooth enough. Ive re-scribed the missing panel lines and hopefully it wont show when the aluminium paint goes on later . The next bit is just as bad- the engines . The kit has the engines way too far apart so the job in hand is to make them closer together by some sort of surgery , probably involving saws.drills, files and a cartload of filler again!!! tony

View attachment 42145

View attachment 42146

View attachment 42147

P1100386 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100387 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100388 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

T

treyzx10r

Tony thats some serious body work,looks like you tackled it though! Might need to buy the green stuff in bulk next time!

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks very good to me, but like you say the alclad will show any faults. So now its back to more surgery are you a massacist Tony ? ha ha