Bent airbrush needle

B

bolampau

Well, I treated myself to a Badger Renegade Krome and an AS186 compressor then watched various 'how-to' videos and found, very quickly, that it ain't as easy as it looks! I started off practicing on plain paper then progressed to a model and I now know I need to practice as often as I can.

However, being a clumsy git I have slightly bent the tip of the ultra fine needle after cleaning. Although you can't see it with the naked eye, you can feel the bent tip scratch your skin if you run your thumb pad gently along it. The nozzle, that the needle pushes into, looks fine and the airbrush seems to work okay. So, the question is should I continue using this needle or replace it?

N.B. the airbrush also came with a larger needle but when I tried using it, the ultra fine spray regulator cut off the air completely and I had to loosen it - whereas, I don't need to adjust the spray regulator when using the ultra fine needle. Do you know if I should be using the correct spray regulator only?

Thanks for your help,

Paul

First Name
Adrian
Fraid your going to have to get a new needle, usually once bent they cant be easily repaired.

Adrian

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
DONT PANIC!!

You can repair it. you just need to be careful about it I have done it a couple of times, and I think that Stona has as well.

You say that you can't see the burr but feel it against your skin. This is good as its only slightly naffed.

Take some fine WET wet and dry and a hard flat surface. With a bit of care, drag the needle back across the wet and dry to remove the burr, checking all the time that you are only just taking the burr off.

Once the burr no longer can be felt, take a very fine wet and dry and with plenty of water drag and twist at the same time just to polish the tip again.

Give it a try, just be careful and you should be fine and you have saved the time and effort, not to mention the wait, getting a new needle.

Ian M

B

bolampau

Excellent news, I'll give it a try as I've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain!

Thanks for the clear instructions Ian.

Cheers,

Paul