Best acrylic for NMF

A

AJay

Hi guys,

Can anyone suggest a good natural metal finish colour using acrylic paint. I primarily use Vallejo Air - I have used their silver which is okay after weathering, but I need something that looks realistic when left clean.

Cheers

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Sorry to intrude on your thread but.

Thanks for asking this question Alex.

I have got a P 47 in the stash that needs the same answer.

Tony.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've heard good things about the Talon acrylic NMF. I have to say I haven't used it myself,I use Alclad.

SnJ and Talon Spray Metal Paints, Plastic Scale Modeling Tips

I'm unaware of a UK supplier but I don't see why it couldn't be shipped.

Have you considered Alclad? Obviously not acrylic but it's easy to use and gives consistent results.

Cheers

Steve

A

AJay

Hey, no problem, Tony.

Thanks, Steve. I've heard so many modellers talk about Alclad but don't know anything about it. I use acrylics because they're not toxic and don't leave too much of an odour, but I'm open to other options.......

Cheers : )

M

m1ks

Citadel are decent for acrylics.

For more realism you'll need to look at enamels or alclad, alclad is excellent but must be airbrushed and being cellulose needs an airbrush that will cope.

I can recommend humbrol metalcote, they're excellent airbrush or brush and buff to a sheen nicely.

S

snapper41

Alclad is the way ahead; a superb NMF, given a little time spent in preparation.

coachman

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Ajay,I used the Talon acrylic that Steve mentioned after he pointed me in that direction

a few months ago. I was quite happy with it,but it needs to be buffed like the Rub n Buff

products. After seeing the alclad results they are far and away the best,unfortunately being

disabled I can't take the nasty bits outside or spray in the garage as I would of done a

few years ago, so acrylics it is. There is a build of a 1/32 Kinetic F86 Sabre using Talon

paints which shows what you can achieve can't think of the website, google would find it

Hope this helps. John

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
\ said:
There is a build of a 1/32 Kinetic F86 Sabre using Talonpaints which shows what you can achieve can't think of the website, google would find it

Hope this helps. John
Kinetic 1/32 F-86F-30 Sabre by Tom Cleaver

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi alex, ive used the games workshop acrylics and they are very good,although ive never sprayed them (but ive heard they spray great too) they do various shades of silver and are easy to use,dilute with water and dont smell.It depends too on the type of finish you want to portray, a natural bare metal or a painted silver (i.e. the high speed silver applied to some 60's raf jets). A good paint for a painted silver finish is the hycote acrylic aerosols, i think these cans are excellent, great coverage and a nice smooth finish,ive used them quite a bit. hope this helps ,cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Tony has raised a very good point about the difference between a NMF and a painted silver finish. I've been eyeing up my Tamiya Mustang recently and it is a conundrum I will have to solve unless I go for a camouflaged version. The top of the wings was painted in an 'aluminium' lacquer whereas the rest of the airframe was largely in natural metal and I'll want to show some kind of difference!

Cheers

Steve

A

AJay

Thanks for all the great replies, guys. Definitely some ideas to think about here. I'll look into all those examples given. Thanks again everyone!

A

AJay

Just a quick heads-up on the NMF topic. I've found that the Vallejo range also produce an 'aluminium' paint that might be suitable for aircraft builds. At 1.79 a pop it might be worth a try.............