Best artificial grass help

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Hi guys

I'm looking to make a simple base for photographing my planes on going forward. I have seen some of you guys using a really realistic grass (matting I take it).

Can someone point me in the direction of a good quality grass matting, I see one from a company called Javis and it was a summer mix any experiences with this?

Any pointers/help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Phil

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Woodland Scenics do a very good range as well as Javis. You can find their products in most good model railway stockists. Some come in large rolls while others come in smaller sizes approximately A3.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I had a mat, but as a small dio man I tend to use as Rick says: Jarvis, Scenics grasses.

Here are some of my old Warhammer boards with grass on them.

DSCF2127.jpg

DSCF2123.jpg

DSCF2071-1.jpg

Just gives you an idea, you can of course use various grasses to create patches or seasonal growth and colour.

D

dubster72

The main question is what scale are you looking at Phil? Some products work ok in smaller scales, but not in others.

In 1/72 you're looking at static grass or a mat that railway modellers use. The static grass can be a pain to apply & a applicator that generates a static electricity charge is almost vital for a good effect. The railway mats look toylike in my opinion.

Further up the scales you're into more realistic options, such as the ready made stuff from Jarvis, Noch & others. But these are quite expensive for what you get.

I myself make my own from fake fur. I also sell it on eBay. I don't want to say too much here in case I transgress the forum rules on advertising ;)

Here's an example of what I do in 1/48

IMG_0027.jpg

Cheers

Patrick

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
The main question is what scale are you looking at Phil? Some products work ok in smaller scales, but not in others.
In 1/72 you're looking at static grass or a mat that railway modellers use. The static grass can be a pain to apply & a applicator that generates a static electricity charge is almost vital for a good effect. The railway mats look toylike in my opinion.

Further up the scales you're into more realistic options, such as the ready made stuff from Jarvis, Noch & others. But these are quite expensive for what you get.

I myself make my own from fake fur. I also sell it on eBay. I don't want to say too much here in case I transgress the forum rules on advertising ;)

Here's an example of what I do in 1/48

View attachment 149177

Cheers

Patrick
\ said:
Teddy bear fur is something I use regularly.
Scott
Cool, nice idea with the teddy bear fur might have a go at that. It'll be for 1/48 scale planes generally. So I take it the Javis style mat would be ok right?

I'll probably add some wildflower ect and custom the colour a little anyhow.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Thanks for the feedback guys, most helpful