Best colour / paint for ship propellers

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi all, its me again, getting back to my nuisance questions lol

Most plans often say to paint ship propellers a gold color, I think they should be a bronze colour?

Is there a paint anyone can recommend??

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Probably one for Dave Ward, the ex merchant marine, but I would think bronze, and relatively polished. After all, sea water is mildly abrasive and they spin around in it for many days at a time so I’d think they would be shiny. Dave might know better though.

Personally I would probably use a Darkstar molten metal metallic Blackened bronze under layer dry brushed with Darkstar molten metal Brass to bring out the form of the prop…….at that small scale some other metal paints are too grainy, but the molten metals yellow metal colours really live up to their name.

Read about them here….

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I normally go for a dark copper brass brown sort of mix. And totally Matt finish.
A nice shiny screw is fine on a new, clean un used ship.. but one that has been out for a swim not so much.
I believe they where cast in manganese brass alloy which would have been a rosy brassy colour

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks all, appreciated.

Planning a big order from John, so will see what he has in stock

Bob

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Older propellers were either phosphor, or manganese bronze. When new they were a shiny metallic reddish gold. They soon oxidised, and became a reddish brown, except at the blade edges, where striking waterborne objects, and cavitation would give a lighter colour. Of course modern propeller are totally different - separate blades, for controllable pitch propellers & Azipods are usually of exotic alloy steels. All the ships I served on had a spare propeller on deck, weathered to quite a dark colour.
A shiny propeller meant a ship fresh from drydock - or one that has run onto a sandbank! ( Yes we did that once ). One ship I was on managed to go astern over a mooring drum ( 2m dia x 4 long ). Chopped the drum up & took a chunk out of one blade. When at sea, you could hear the turbulence caused by the damage - a curious whistling warbling sound ( by the stern gland - where the propshaft goes through ). At the next port, we had divers grind off all the ragged edges
Dave

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Does it attract birds, not the ones who crap on your car, but thinking about, have know a few 2 legged ones in the past:tongue-out3: