Best maker of models?

M

Mark P

Just lately I feel Revell models are going down hill in a big way! I think quality control is done by someone who is asleep 99% of the time o_O. I have always been impressed with Tamiya but for the first time I brought a model made by Fujimi and WOW! Loads more sprues, and no over spill. So who do you guys and gals think make the best models?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Dragon do some superb pieces but their instructions might as well be describing the moon. Tamiya, Meng can be good too. New Airfix tools are lovely pity that 90% are aircraft.

M

Mark P

\ said:
Dragon do some superb pieces but their instructions might as well be describing the moon. Tamiya, Meng can be good too. New Airfix tools are lovely pity that 90% are aircraft.
I know what you mean Si, the Fujimi instructions are in Japanese :confused:

D

dubster72

I guess it depends on the type of model & what an individual is looking for.

In armour, Dragon & Bronco make excellently detailed kits. Tamiya, Academy & Trumpeter are less detailed, but easier to build.

In aircraft, new tool Airfix kits are good although I've found the QC to be hit and miss. Tamiya aircraft kits are sublime, but there's still a few to avoid.

For me the motto is, check for reviews of particular kits before laying out the cash!

F

Fenlander

Oooo, tricky one. It does depend on the individual as to what their expectations are. I have enjoyed some simplistic and inaccurate models and I have binned some amazingly detailed and accurate kits as they become a chore to build.

First Name
Adrian
I'd have to say the Tamiya aircraft I have built have been nice fits with clear instructions.

MENG are truly awesome in my opinion, I've built a couple so far and the box is always filled to the brim with great instructions and no flash or fitting issues at all.

Built a few of the new mould Airfix kits and they go together really nicely but the panel lines seem a little deep on the aircraft I've done.

Only built one Trumpeter kit but again I cannot fault it in any way.

Like its been said I think its all down to what we build and what we expect from a kit, if I'm paying £99 for a 1:32 Tamiya plane I expect it to be flawless in every department, likewise if a kit has cost me £5 I know I'm normally in for a world of hurt lol

Adrian

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A simple rule of thumb, regardless of the manufacturer, is that newer kits are better from a fit and building point of view. They are not necessarily a more accurate representation of the original.

The first is due to better and more sophisticated ways of designing and cutting the molds. The second is because despite the availability of better and more sophisticated ways of measuring originals, bad research and compromises between the design and manufacturing still results in less accurate kits.

Cheers

Steve

P

phikoleoputra

Tamiya still the best for me personally, but I'm currently building an F-5 by AFV Club and the detail and fit is excellent.

Trumpeter also make good kits

Interesting topic, but it's really hard to say. As Steve mentioned, newer kits are often better, quality-wise and detail-wise, but you need to be careful as some manufacturers tend to repack old tools in new boxes and brand them as "New" kit. Common practice by Revell and Italeri.

For me it doesn't matter what make is it, I rather look inside the box, but I have some manufacturers that I can buy without because I know that I won't be disappointed, these are Tamiya, Dragon, AFV Club and most of the Hasegawa. Not ot mention newer ones like Meng or Takom.

Overall nice kit = easier build.

Just hope to get to the point where I'll buy old crappy kit and still will be able to make a decent build:smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

I think all makers have produced pig kits and all makers have produced outstanding kits, some outstanding kits at cheap prices and some rubbish kit waaaay overly priced, yes there are some who produce great kits most of the time (Tamiya for instance but even they have produced some real dogs) I think you can't beat reading reviews, but in the end you pays your money and takes your chances.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I don't think you can class any of them as the bee's knees. They're all notorious for sharing moulds, reactivating old ones, and even allowing errors to go unchecked. The Shackleton kits we see being built on the forum at present by both Revell and Airfix are a good case. Best to do your research on any kit before you pass gold across the plastic genie's palm.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Another point is that one maker can turn out brilliant aircraft kits but their armour sucks or vice versa.

As many have said if you are after a specific subject, a google search often turns up the different choices of makers, review and build threads on fora. Some times you will have no choice except one maker be it good or bad that's what you have to work with.

Some build great with lots of detail, just a shame that they have mixed up their versions or sizing. Others are a pig to build, lack detail but are pretty accurate in the end result.

If you are into aircraft buy the same mark of aircraft in the same scale from as many different makers as you can be bothered and then build them all. Be prepared for a few surprises.

Plastic quality is another issue. Plastic is like wood in many ways. Some are hard, which can be a great thing others are soft, which is just as good. You just have to work them differently.

Softer plastics often deform over time while in the box unbuilt, due to heat and the like. Being softer plastic they are easier to correct with minimum effort. Hard plastic can also deform over time but the twists and bows can be much harder to correct. Does it affect the result... I don't think so. As to the pleasure of the build process......some will call it a challenge, others a pain. Some will look at the completed build and think 'that turned out nice' others will look into the wast basket and think what a load of .............

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
My favourites of the month are meng and arv both are producing great armour kits with great detail at the moment. 

W

Winker

My main love is 1/72 military planes and I personally love tamiya but you do have to pay for the quality. I have ventured into airfix, revell, academy and italeri with varying degrees of quality. I think the age of a kit does mean a lower quality of molding but that's technologies fault. 25 years ago I was praising such kits. I am now using several makes as time fillers and I don't worry too much about the quality if the price is right for the product.

Winker  ;)