Best sprayable Brass please?

M

MarshMan

The title says it all really. I’m new to plastic modelling and airbrushing, so a lot to learn. Is any particular brand of metallic better than another, or is it just personal choice please?
Look forward to any advice
Max

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The title says it all really. I’m new to plastic modelling and airbrushing, so a lot to learn. Is any particular brand of metallic better than another, or is it just personal choice please?
Max

Sorry Max...this is a little tricky as it has to do with the smoothness of the pigments in the paint. Guys who do cars and gundams will know better. Fantasy figure paints seem to be the fad with metalics too.

Cheers,
Richard

M

MarshMan

Sorry Max...this is a little tricky as it has to do with the smoothness of the pigments in the paint. Guys who do cars and gundams will know better. Fantasy figure paints seem to be the fad with metalics too.

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks Richard, so is it perhaps easier to brush paint these colours?
Max

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Max
Hello,
I have never been disappointed with Alclad. Strange stuff, but really good.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Richard, so is it perhaps easier to brush paint these colours?
Max

For large surfaces I would prefer to airbrush them. If you don't have an airbrush perhaps getting some Tamiya spray can paint will do the job. Don't try brush painting with Tamiya as at times I have gotten mixed results. Brush painting with enamels or Vallejo is much better but don't know of their metalics. Alcad is one metalic paint many have given the thumbs up but it has its special way of application.

Cheers,
Richard

M

MarshMan

Thanks Colin and Richard. In what way is Alclad ‘strange stuff’?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Max
I rather like the Vallejo Metal Colour. It is acrylic so easy to use. It needs a black gloss base and the finish is enhanced with a gloss varnish. Just Google "Vallejo Metal Color" - loads of information and reviews.
Jim

M

MarshMan

Hi Max
I rather like the Vallejo Metal Colour. It is acrylic so easy to use. It needs a black gloss base and the finish is enhanced with a gloss varnish. Just Google "Vallejo Metal Color" - loads of information and reviews.
Jim
Thanks Jim,
I’m beginning to see, via other stuff I’m looking at also, that there’s a hell of a lot more to this painting lark than meets the eye!!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Max,
Alclad is strange stuff! It can only be airbrushed, over a gloss black primer, in very thin misted coats, it's cellulose based, so it'll eat unprimed surface. It's not the cheapest, and a bottle doesn't go very far. The final thing is that it stinks, not to be recommended for indoor spraying - a good mask is essential!
Alclad will probably give you the best result over a large area, but for smaller areas I've has good results with AK True Metal - it can be applied by brush, cotton bud, or finger, allowed to dry, then can be buffed up with a soft cloth. Brass & Silver are the ones I use - silver for hydraulic rams
Dave

M

MarshMan

A question has just arisen in my mind, can you mix lacquer and acrylic paints side by side on the same model? I don’t mean mixing together
Max,
Alclad is strange stuff! It can only be airbrushed, over a gloss black primer, in very thin misted coats, it's cellulose based, so it'll eat unprimed surface. It's not the cheapest, and a bottle doesn't go very far. The final thing is that it stinks, not to be recommended for indoor spraying - a good mask is essential!
Alclad will probably give you the best result over a large area, but for smaller areas I've has good results with AK True Metal - it can be applied by brush, cotton bud, or finger, allowed to dry, then can be buffed up with a soft cloth. Brass & Silver are the ones I use - silver for hydraulic rams
Dave
I very much appreciate that detailed description Dave, thank you

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Vallejo Metal Colour brushes quite well. For hydraulic rams and similar things that need to be shiny, you can't beat a Molotow pen - and no brush or airbrush to clean afeterwards.

Pete

M

MarshMan

How does lacquer come into this equation? Are there any problems relating to it’s use?

M

MarshMan

Vallejo Metal Colour brushes quite well. For hydraulic rams and similar things that need to be shiny, you can't beat a Molotow pen - and no brush or airbrush to clean afeterwards.

Pete
Are, now that’s something to think about Pete, I’ve not yet come across Molotow pens; I’ll investigate.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
can you mix lacquer and acrylic paints side by side on the same model? I don’t mean mixing together
I don't see why not, as long as each is dry before you apply the other. Acrylic on lacquer should be OK, not sure about lacquer on top of acrylic, but side by side should be safe.

How does lacquer come into this equation? Are there any problems relating to it’s use?
Dunno, I haven't used any.

Pete

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I'd suggest also looking a the Mr Hobby Mr Metal buff-able range. I haven't tried their brass, but the colours I have tried spray lovely straight from the jar, leave a nice flat surface and can be buffed to a lovely shine.

M

MarshMan

I'd suggest also looking a the Mr Hobby Mr Metal buff-able range. I haven't tried their brass, but the colours I have tried spray lovely straight from the jar, leave a nice flat surface and can be buffed to a lovely shine.
Appreciate that particularly Bob, as I’d only just this minute thought I’d try them!

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I've just used their Iron for a few bits on my Tornado build and really was impressed. I went that way instead of Alclad mainly because I'd read about the smell issue, and as I have to spray indoors with my kids around I wanted something a bit more user friendly. :smiling3:

Edited to add:

Just seen you're a new member, welcome to the forum Max. :smiling3:

M

MarshMan

I've just used their Iron for a few bits on my Tornado build and really was impressed. I went that way instead of Alclad mainly because I'd read about the smell issue, and as I have to spray indoors with my kids around I wanted something a bit more user friendly. :smiling3:

Edited to add:

Just seen you're a new member, welcome to the forum Max. :smiling3:
Thanks Bob!