Big titanic

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I have just started my biggest project yet a section of the titanic built around the 1st class stairs from the boat deck down to the keel built to a scale of 1/36 so hopfully as funds permit i may well extend further.this build also includes 1 funnel and the gym.i have started with the gym and starboard side 1st class entrance's

View attachment 51811

100_0161.jpg

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Goodness Peter, "if funds premit" you could have a 24 and a half foot model. I know there's a move towards larger kits at the moment, but this would be HUGE.

Hope you got a big shelf :thumbsup:

Looking good so far mate.

Tony.

C

CDW

I like the idea of a large scale RMS model, keeping it to a section would possibly be easier though cos as Tony says above the whole jobbie will be just under 25 foot, even the little bit youre doing will have a 20 inch high funnel on it.

Good luck with this and keep those updates coming, this is a build i've got to see unfold :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
thank you for your positive replys i would like to add to (funds permiting) as i am currently unemployed it will be along build possibly upto a year or more,but all the walls will have wood venears on them if not to dear but i am trying thin balsa wood instaed of painting but any tips will be most welcome so watch this space:thumbsup:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Peter, first off, best of luck with the build.

Balsa might not be suitable...It's a very 'fluffy' grain and might not look right. Loads of different hardwoods were used in Titanic and I know balsa is a hardwood, but the grain might not look right.

No sniggering at the back, but have you considered using coffee stirrers? Already cut to size and a nice close grain. Butted together could well make acceptable panelling....Worth a test section perhaps?

Thin ply veneer, scribed with vertical board joints might do, but no matter what you did to it, it would still look like a piece of ply with not enough variation in the grain.

To my way of thinking the panelling has to be made up of individual boards of some sort or other.....

I'm sure you will find something suitable and once again good luck,

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Boldman

Coffee stirrers are an excellent modelling material, always come away with a handful when visiting a coffee shot, even tough I only ever drink tea ;)

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
thanks for your help and comments and after very careful measuring i has now gone back to about 1/48 scale so a little bit smaller

B

Boldman

Thats a good scale as there are figures and accessories that become available at that scale, its O scale in Model railways and a common scale in dolls houses...

A

Andy

Looking forward to seeing this unfold, i work in marine engineering so to see this progress will hold great interest to me.

Good luck!

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
thanks for or your help and coments but after very careful mesuring i have now found out the scale will be about 1/48 so it makes it a bit smaller

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
more big titanic

i have now decided to go totaly scratch built on this project due to the fact i have so much material left over from all the part work ships i have done and all the 1/250 titanics so buying will be kept to a minimum at the moment,but here is another pic of what i have done so far

View attachment 51881

100_0162.jpg

C

CDW

There's always the option that some of us may have some bits and bobs that will help you out in this build.

You can always pop a "wanted thread" up in the "Bits Bin forum" or in this thread.

I'm sure there's others that wouldn't mind posting bits off to you to save you a bit of cash whilst you sort yourself out.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
more pics

hello again here are some more pics long way to go all the wat to the keel yet .i have found a dolls house shop that i get most of my bits but staircase and dome mmmm won't go there yet any comments are welcome i do think the staircase opening might be a tad small let me know if it looks like because i might be seeing things

View attachment 52064

View attachment 52065

View attachment 52066

100_0164.jpg

100_0165.jpg

100_0167.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Is the staircase the very ornate first class one? If so, there are some great pictures of it on Google Images. How are you going to replicate the curled hand rails and bannisters ect......Can you buy such 'Titanic' things ready made?

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I was just curious as to whether such detailed stuff was readily available, that's all.......

Ron

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
my apologies for not awnsering your last post .:thumbsup: i do know parts are done for smaller scale titanics but i dont think they do for any for my scale that iam doing. i have not looked around yet. but i like a challenge so i am going to have ago at detailng the stairs my self and will post the results as iam a self confessesd titanic nut i do have lots of pics, it is the first class forward stairs iam doing complete with funnel.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
more big titanic

here is the latest on the big titanic i will soon be starting the starboard side boat deck planking this will be the last post here as i will move to under construction

View attachment 52341

100_0202.jpg