Bilek 1/72 Westland Whirlwind

W

wbk666

Bileks Westland Whirlwind which i believe is a repop of the airfix kit.

Picked this up off ebay for less than a fiver inc P&P so its far cheaper than the airfix release

Someone had already glued the pilot into his seat so i started with him

Next the interior was painted, i added the odd dot of colour just to make it look a little more lively, i dont have the skills to scratch build cockpits yet

Added some radiator grills from BOOTS (bit of old tablet strip) it looks better than just the blank hole the kit has.

all ready for priming once the glues set on the tail

P

Plastickitbasher

Nice find on the old ebay, looking good so far I like your idea for the grills

W

wbk666

i'd been looking for a whirlwind for ages but couldnt afford a special hobbys kit and wouldnt pay a tenner for the old airfix kit so when this one popped up i had to have it, i recon the canopy is too clear for old airfix though, maybe thats their own LOL

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
nice start wayne , its a lovely aircraft , and the airfix kit isnt too bad either , just a little sparse in the cockpit area , cheers tony

W

wbk666

not got much done the last few days i've been laid up poorly

Got back to it tonight and did a couple of things like spraying the tailband and propcones, drilling out the exhaust cowels (i think they look slightly more realsitic and lastly i sprayed the yellow on the leading edge of the wings.

I'll leave it until tomorrow night before masking it as i dont want any of those lifting off with the tape.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Looking good so far Wayne.

Tony.

K

Keith9657

Looks good so far. I definitely like the grilles idea.

Keith

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great topic Wayne, the intake grills look the part. Did Roman ever finish his one?

W

wbk666

Vallejos dark green has now been added. i did originally mask it but when i took the mask off it didnt look quite right so i've tried to add a little mor green "freehand" with my airbrush.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
It's looking great Waybe, nice airbrushing too. It seems to have given the camo a softer edge.

W

wbk666

yes it has soften the edges, not sure if i like it though.

Anyway had a decal nightmare with it last night. Bileks decals are VERY thin and the fuselage roundels and id numbers refused to play nice so i've had to cobble some together out of the spares box... it was going soooo well to :sad:

This is the better side :sad:

W

wbk666

a light weathering done, props fitted. Tomorrow a matt varnish to finish

First Name
Dave
Looking good Wayne.Ive made the Airfix kit a few times over the years .Wish i could get hold of the now out of production 1/48 Classic Airframes kit.

W

wbk666

ive just taken delivery of the 1/72 special hobby one, loads of lovely detail for me to mess up on the one lol

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
nice job wayne , a great result from a golden oldie , (the kit , not you!!) cheers tony

W

wbk666

\ said:
nice job wayne , a great result from a golden oldie , (the kit , not you!!) cheers tony
well im not so young myself lol

Thanks