Bird Watching a Relaxing Hobby

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Ok seems there’s a lot of you bird watchers out there like me so I thought I would start a thread on it. Feel free to talk, post pics about your bird watching experience. I’ll start us off. This was the seen this winter when it stayed below freezing for 14 days. 6C84C9B6-1BC9-49E1-8C66-D28DA3877001.jpeg399B244A-7253-45C2-8995-D8975757C0D9.jpegE7119EE8-FA7C-4E46-9D35-59E3D7BB445A.jpeg

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That`s a pretty high body count you got there Lee,excellent stuff :thumb2: ,
Rachel and i love to feed and watch the birds in our garden too.We don`t have an abundance of different types,but Housemartins,swallows,Starlings,Blue Tits,Dunnocks,and the occasional Bull Finch are regular customers:nerd:!
NIce idea for a thread mate:cool:,
Andy

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Andy. Thanks we have all kinds here but we don’t have Martins. Guess I’ll have to buy another small bag of bird seed this week to keep this thread updated lol. Thanks for stopping by.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Ok seems there’s a lot of you bird watchers out there like me so I thought I would start a thread on it. Feel free to talk, post pics about your bird watching experience. I’ll start us off. This was the seen this winter when it stayed below freezing for 14 days. View attachment 421603View attachment 421604View attachment 421605
Think that it was derailing your farm thread Lee, so thanks.
Don't often take photos of our visitors, as often I've only the phone to hand, and it's rubbish at zooming in!

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Gerry. Maybe it was but I do enjoy taking pics of birds and I know some here do as well. Take a few and post them.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I'll give it a whirl Lee, but won't guarantee anything recognisable!
Just had a little wander around the village (needed more 'rocks') and was watching one of the buzzards just riding a thermal and soaring - so far up that it was just a speck.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Never a bird watcher, but I can remember seeing gannets chasing and ( sometimes ) catching flying fish, whilst we were off the coast of South Africa - quite fascinating! Most seafarers classed birds as either seagulls, or sh*tehawks!!!!
Dave

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
We get all sorts in our garden and over it. From Wrens to Sea Eagles never real have the camera handy though! Must try better.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Seeing White tailed Sea eagles from your garden is a rare privilege! Mind you, a few years ago the same was true for Red kite, and they are now almost commonplace. I watched a pair sky dancing from my conservatory a few years ago, and one actually looped the loop! One day Sea eagles may make a successful return and be common enough for more people to see them from their homes.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Never a bird watcher, but I can remember seeing gannets chasing and ( sometimes ) catching flying fish, whilst we were off the coast of South Africa - quite fascinating! Most seafarers classed birds as either seagulls, or sh*tehawks!!!!
Dave
Dave. That sounded exciting to see. Thanks for sharing

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
We get all sorts in our garden and over it. From Wrens to Sea Eagles never real have the camera handy though! Must try better.
Ian. You will have to do better like to see some of your garden birds.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great to see Lee , i love to watch the birds and we spend quite a bit on food for them , but its worth it . I know just about all the british species but its nice to see the different types youve got over there . What are the red ones ?,theyre very striking .

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Dave
I used to work with a guy who had a CB radio set and his handle was ‘ Shy Talk ‘ :smiling5:

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Great to see Lee , i love to watch the birds and we spend quite a bit on food for them , but its worth it . I know just about all the british species but its nice to see the different types youve got over there . What are the red ones ?,theyre very striking .
The Red ones are Cardinals. Post some pics would love to see them

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Moved this from the farm thread (so everyone will have to catch up on there and then come back! ;) :tears-of-joy:
Only ever seen one turtle dove here, often get the ring necked ones, and wood pigeons couple of years ago, we had a pair of stock doves, and for a while, a racing pigeon had a 6 month holiday with us (Dutch ring on it - hopefully the owner was understanding when it got home!)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Lee,

Thanks for sharing. Don't consider myself a bird watcher but at the same time I do love raptors.

ATB.

Andrew