Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Excellent work Ian.
If it is of any help, there is a picture of the wreck of the Bismarck which faintly shows the swastika still painted on the deck. Nerd hat removed!
I have seen that Ron. Theory is that the paint for the emblem was propper wood paint and properly painted whereas the grey was painted rather hurried and was not very well prepared..So has peeled and or worn away over time.

As my version is the morning of the 21st May the Emblems where still visible. Bismarck was spotted by a PRU spitfire and the rather conspicuous emblems painted over in a big hurry as it left the Fjord.

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You're getting there Ian. So many things on sticks!! It's like an 80s cocktail party :smiling:
and not one with cheese and pineapple Jim!
I have eyes on for this one - a favourite ship of mine!
Steve
Cheers Steve. I hope that you can find your way around when you dont have your eyes on! :tongue-out3:
Cracking work so far Ian.
Thanks Ian

This morning I got the stripes sorted. lucky for me they were not identical either side. So far only done one side though as I find it easier to have the hull up on its side...
I gave the boot topping a second coat while I hade some paint in the airbrush.
20230628_095508.jpg20230628_095535.jpg20230628_095545.jpg
Never mind the box its on, thats for later. All the stuff on deck is just placed there 'out the way'.
I cant remember if I said this but I am NOT painting this with Colour Coat enamels but Vallejo Model Color acrylics. Oh and one from their Panzer aces range.
They match right out the bottle and need no mixing of colours! I went to a lot of bother to get the Colour coats paints but it has been soooo long since I used enamels of any kind, I found that they did my head in and the room stank for days. With windows open and extractor on!!
Have always been an enamel fan but ..... I have been looking for a Match up for Acrylics for a while and have a spread sheet with all I need to know (Only the different Navies).
Anyhow:
Really need to paint those blast bags lol.
The Funnel cap needs a bit of flat clear with a drip of white to take the bling off it.
I will take the other side tomorrow and then its a quick touch up of the Hull Red and a good coat or three of clearcoat. Then I go top side and start painting all the tiny bits that go on deck and all that. Oh and the ID banners fore and aft.

Cheers and comments and questions welcome.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
And just to prove that I am growed up enuff to share my mistooks and such:

The other side went wrong in so many ways. I figured it was time to chuck it in the bin...

Nah only kidding. But the paint was a mess. Overspray, bleeding, runs, tip drying you name it. then there was the problems with the paintwork as well.

So it was out with the squidgy block and 6000grit wet cloth and 'erase' the black and white bands and the bow and stern wave/wake. Along with 90% of the boot topping and the upper middle section of grey. Nothing much.
Oh on the plus side it did get all the little bits for the deck painted. Just need to do the ships boats now. Yeah!

The victim:
20230629_172147.jpg
To add insult to injury, I dragged my watch band along the side of the Red painted part of the hull. So that got a going over as well. The hull not the watch.

Road trip tomorrow then its weekend.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I love your scenery on the hull sides - looks like South Georgia early in the evening! Well executed mate (what's the other side portraying?)
Steve
Subject to the climate the view is now blacked out and Bismarck had been put on hold.
20230701_121255.jpg
Need bench space for a couple of GB thingies.

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Ian what's happening with the Bismarck having a rest? I'm thinking of doing the same to put along side the hood after the hood is finished seeing as she sunk her.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ian what's happening with the Bismarck having a rest? I'm thinking of doing the same to put along side the hood after the hood is finished seeing as she sunk her.
Just resting from it a while. Need to keep up with the GB's and as you know these big war canoes take a lot of bench space.
Once the weather cools off a bit I'll probably get back on it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So anyhow... I was sitting at my desk behind which the Bismarck is on bedding. I have been looking at it a lot the last week or two. Yesterday I even took part of it down to 'fiddle with' Something was bugging me.
Today, I figured it out. The black and white stripes at the read of the hull are wrong! I have them in the right(ish) place and more or less the right angle. They are even the right way round. I just got the colours the wrong way. On the previously posted photo, you can see they are from the pointy end; Black/White, then White/Black, then Black/White. They should be B/W, W/B and W/B, So the part that is white is should be black... I am so glad I have not started to paint up the superstructures just yet so it is only the hull.
I am also starting to doubt the correctness of the colour for the superstructures... I think I might have used the middle grey tone and not the lighter tone..... Burger!
Now I need a cuppa and a nap, while I make a battle plan.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Go on have a guess at what I have been doing today... No? OK I'll tell you.
Masking.... Jeessssss... ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
20240320_150956.jpg
Not sure how well those parts with liquid mask will fare.... some of the 'metal' decks will have to be tickled with the hairy stick.
20240320_151002.jpg
I think that a part of the issue is that a bit darker paint put over a black primer is not that good an idea. Some of the small parts are lighter than others. I just cant see if it was a change of paint or I just grabbed the wrong one for one of the sessions.... On the bright side I can now qualify for the personal number plate. TW4T.
20240320_151006.jpg

20240320_151011.jpg
Looking at the collection of small parts I think it's apparent that some are more blue grey that the others in the first photo above. Ignore the two white bits they are grey white ... :smiling: got those right. lol.

Just need a test bit to see if my enamel paints are safe over acrylics... Should be after all this time. Eight months... should be cured by now.

More later in the week...

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
So the Bismarck has surfaced again and is already making life difficult. The different shades of grey could well be the effect of the primer. Anyway deep breath and carry on. Fingers crossed that all that masking is successful.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Blimey, that's some masking session there!! :astonished:
Looks very neatly done mind Ian, should protect the decking nicely.:thumb2:
What kind of liquid mask are you using? Reason I ask is, my Vallejo one states says not to leave on for a prolonged period,(whatever that is!!),but i guess,if you're intending to apply paint soon, it's irrelevant :thinking:, anyway, pleased to see back on this, I've always had a thing for the Bismarck:cool:.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I
What kind of liquid mask are you using?
It's Vallejo liquid mask. This will come off by Friday (?). However I have had the stuff on other models for over a month. Didn't notice any adverse effects.

I just hope the next big war canoe in the cue goes a bit smoother.
The Hood was a repaint as well due to running out of paint the new being a totally different colour.. the maker found evidence the colour was much darker...grrr
And once it was finished they found out Hood had a grey anti-fouling not red. Mine is still red! For now...lol

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I got some paint down this AM. I will be removing the masks later.
20240321_115542.jpg
That's more like it.
20240321_115555.jpg
Sorry about the shadows under the platforms. But I think we can all agree that this looks a bit more like it!
20240321_115615.jpg
Some baby guns.
20240321_115624.jpg
Saw the parts holder in a pet store its a throw away cat scratching board saw it, saw the price and grabbed one. Works quite well for a quid!

20240321_115647.jpg
Hoped I could get away without a mask but alas, no.

Once I can get these out the way I will find the room for the hull and sort that out.
By the way the paints are now Good old enamels from Colour coats. from the RLM range.

Cheers.