Black Bird Feeding

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Last year we had an extremely tame female who would land on the garden table and feed .
This year we have several females and males.
A sort of truce has been agreed over who owns the garden .
Unfortunately feeding brings the Starlings, all fighting to get fed. Youngster rushing round with beaks open .
With this in mind I adopted the sitting in the garden and feed the black birds next to me
Doesn't take long before they realise and soon are taking full beak fulls for their young .

To night out some food out side the conservatory doors

IMG_20230527_172354259.jpgIMG_20230527_102108094.jpgIMG_20230525_110932567.jpgIMG_20230527_101927473.jpg

Nothing better than enjoying a cup of tea and watching these birds .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Friend of mine was doing this for the ducks that were congregating on his creek. By the time he was through with it, it was costing him $100. USD a month! They won't starve if you don't feed 'em, they'll just look elsewhere. ;)

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
With our new puppy, wife and I are up early, (5:30am early). So cup of coffee, then sit by the French doors and watch the Blackbirds feeding on worms from the garden. They are so efficient at locating them I had to google them to see if I could find out why!! They have very acute hearing so hear the worms scurrying around - then peck!! Out ya come. Then off to the brood for brekkie!!
And you get a nice tune from them to boot!!!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
With our new puppy, wife and I are up early, (5:30am early). So cup of coffee, then sit by the French doors and watch the Blackbirds feeding on worms from the garden. They are so efficient at locating them I had to google them to see if I could find out why!! They have very acute hearing so hear the worms scurrying around - then peck!! Out ya come. Then off to the brood for brekkie!!
And you get a nice tune from them to boot!!!
All of that could apply to Rach and I in our garden,(apart from the 5:30 am bit!! ;) ).
They do it in our front garden too, coming with a couple of feet to us, not bothered in the slightest :smiling3:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Right now, sat in Brixham. Magpies drinking from my sons water thing!!! Gulls vertically landing on his lawn and blackbirds flitting from tree to tree. That and the sun makeing for a nice Sunday morning. (Especially as little miss noisy puppy is currently snoring her little head off) Peace at last!!!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good for the soul John.
:thumb2:
Friend of mine was doing this for the ducks that were congregating on his creek. By the time he was through with it, it was costing him $100. USD a month! They won't starve if you don't feed 'em, they'll just look elsewhere. ;)
It is Rick, but worth every penny. Nice to have them , not keen on the pigeons or other birds . Should have a sign Black birds only , trouble Starlings don't seem have time to read anything ;)

Fabulous John.
Thanks Tim .

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
not keen on the pigeons or other birds . Should have a sign Black birds only , trouble Starlings don't seem have time to read anything ;)
Same here. We're happy to feed the blackbirds, robins, dunnocks, tits, goldfinches etc, but not the pigeons and collared doves or starlings. Trouble is, we put mealworms out for the robins, but if the starlings spot the worms a dozen or so will descend and scoff the lot.
Pete

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Same here. We're happy to feed the blackbirds, robins, dunnocks, tits, goldfinches etc, but not the pigeons and collared doves or starlings. Trouble is, we put mealworms out for the robins, but if the starlings spot the worms a dozen or so will descend and scoff the lot.
Pete
Pete fully agree.They are like a mob , as soon as one sees the meal worm it every bird for itself .

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A sort of truce has been agreed over who owns the garden
Now that's interesting. Our Mr B isn't the sharing kind of bird. The Garden is his and his family, that's it. All other Blackbirds are banished, very quickly.

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Now that's interesting. Our Mr B isn't the sharing kind of bird. The Garden is his and his family, that's it. All other Blackbirds are banished, very quickly.
As long as there was plenty of meal worms all was ok, as the supply diminished tempers did fly !