Black Jack

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I have been looking at some ultra realistic painting recently and so I wondered if I could bring the technique to a bust. I needed to have a relatively large scale bust for this experiment so I am sculpting this in Magic Sculpt at approx 1/6th scale. This will eventually be "Black Jack" Pershing the American General who gave his name to various tanks and missiles etc. He always looks to me like a typical, chiseled, no nonsense sort of character. I hope I can get some of that character in my bust. Anyway here is the first session with the rough form taking shape.

base.jpg

Long way to go.

John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
I'll follow this with interest as I have always enjoyed your work. Hope things are ok in Canada in these strained times.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Masterclass alert! Looking forward to this John.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome aboard chaps.

The face is now almost done. Definitely a Jimmy Hill chin, for those of you who remember. Next stop a trip to the hair salon and some sanding.

head 3.jpg

John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
This is looking good John and I ditto Scottie and Jim...

Cheers,
Richard

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Gentlemen you are most kind.

He has moved along now and I just have his decorations and 4 stars to add. I'm always a little disappointed with the result that rarely matches initial ideas. Faces are never truly symmetrical but I always have a tough time getting two eyes or two ears to vaguely match up. Anyway nearly ready to move on to the fun stage, painting.

bust 1.jpg

bust 2.jpg

John

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi John

Your sculpting abilities are unquestionable and your paint work is outstanding so I was intrigued when I read that you are trying out ultra realistic painting. I have seen some of this before like Brian Drury's work. So many times I find it hard to tell the difference between URP and an actual photo. For you to reproduce this on a model will be quite the challenge. If you pull it off it will be groundbreaking work. I wish you all the best in this venture.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very much appreciated gents and Steve, I will be surprised if I can pull this off too.

But at least I am ready to move on to paint as the sculpting is done. Hardest job was trying to make 4 stars for each shoulder but with a bit of bodging I think this will do. I think the likeness is just OK from the profile but full on I think he looks a little too much like Neville Chamberlain.

Sculpt.jpg

John