blown bridge dio

First Name
barry
Hi guys

could do with some help on latest rail dio, it is depicting a german rail armoured car going over a destroyed bridge. It is still in mock up form but have spent half a day on it and dont know if i like it!!!.I have gone for a wooden bridge rather than stone as i want a small stream at bottom and dont want it filled with rubble from bridge.could do with some honest opinions.

thanks, p s if i dont answer right away itscos i am going for a pint!.(i thought this hobby was to calm you.):confused:View attachment 114948

View attachment 114949

View attachment 114950

20150721_173618.jpg

20150721_173632.jpg

20150721_173640.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
the damage to the tracks gives the impression that was the point of the explosion so all the damage should be there and the supports would be in good condition from about halfway unless the train has broken them on the way down

I think it's good and your groundwork is great :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looks really good so far Barry - the rocks are excellent. A few more timbers will help a lot. Silly way to do it I know, but how about building the actual bridge then breaking it apart? That way you will have the number, size and shape of all the timbers absolutely correct.

0ne48thtel

I am with Dave on this as you can break what you want on it and still have the supports where you want/need them.

P

Polux

Personally I think the base is excellent!! A perfect "start point".

You should start to work on the base. Add vegetation, green washes on the rocks, add the water effect and some more damage woods.

The last step is the locomotive ;)

First Name
Robert
Just a thought to the above advice is can you source some pics of actual bridge that you want to represent and this way even if it was a b/w pic you should count the amount of timbers and what amount of destruction you should have at the bottom of the ravine.

Also with the track and lines how much explosive damage was caused to the track and area around.

It depends on how much detail you want to put in.

There also would be some rock damage in the explosion maybe vegetation destruction...... Just a thought and suggestion

Regards

Robert

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Barry, Dave has it spot on. You need to build the bridge. Decide which direction the explosion would have gone - up or down, and then destroy it. Either with your fist or a piece of wood and belt that with a hammer...Trust me, it works every time, but you will need to be brave! The same goes for buildings - or anything similar. As Dave points out, that way the builder has the right amount of wrecked material and or rubble.

The composition is excellent so far and a cracking idea too!

Ron

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
do real like the stone work looks great,and I do agree with whats been said,

maybe a bit more work,but will end up much better looking,with the right amount

,of damage ;)

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Barry, Dave has it spot on. You need to build the bridge. Decide which direction the explosion would have gone - up or down, and then destroy it. Either with your fist or a piece of wood and belt that with a hammer...Trust me, it works every time, but you will need to be brave! The same goes for buildings - or anything similar. As Dave points out, that way the builder has the right amount of wrecked material and or rubble.
The composition is excellent so far and a cracking idea too!

Ron
I like Ron's advice with the fist & hammer thing ......... You could also use "Dynamite" but be careful. Experiment with really tiny bits first and then add a little bit more until you get the right effect................ and Barry, I like the rock effect and the ideas so far matey .......... I'll look forward to watching your progress.

T

tommy1drop

Cracking work Barry, excellent basework, really liking this;)

First Name
barry
Thanks for all the sound advice everyone i think dave has got the right idea but will pass on the hammer and dynamite LOL,dont want to damage the rocks ,and thanks for comments on rocks , first time and they do look better than pics sent as i used a tablet to photo them.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Awesome start!!:cool::cool:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Apart from the bridge and ravine, other details count. A railway line is on a ballast base and often have telegraph lines running alongside and mile/Km markers. Other lineside details to consider are signal wires, metal cables run alongside the track on a pedestal mounted pulley support from the nearest signal box to the signals it controls. I have some photos on mh ipad that I can post later for reference.

But my main recommendation would be adding some ballast, you can get it from any decent model railway shop. Carefully brush it into the track and sleepers then fix with a 50/50 mix of water and PVA with a drop of washing up liquid in it applied gently with a pipette or syringe.

First Name
barry
\ said:
Apart from the bridge and ravine, other details count. A railway line is on a ballast base and often have telegraph lines running alongside and mile/Km markers. Other lineside details to consider are signal wires, metal cables run alongside the track on a pedestal mounted pulley support from the nearest signal box to the signals it controls. I have some photos on mh ipad that I can post later for reference.
But my main recommendation would be adding some ballast, you can get it from any decent model railway shop. Carefully brush it into the track and sleepers then fix with a 50/50 mix of water and PVA with a drop of washing up liquid in it applied gently with a pipette or syringe.
Thanks for comments on dio i have yet to add ballast as it is still in mock up stage , thanks for other details any photos would be helpfull.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
You know what you got to do Barry , just take your time, you have a great start going. Every thing will come to you with time, I know in my case when building a complicated diorama things come to me according to mood etc.. You can never totally foresee your finished product, just let it flow naturally, I'm sure it will be another one of your masterpieces;)....................Jim:smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

That is an awesome start, can't wait to see this develop.