BLU TACK masking issues

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just a quick heads up really.

Like many of us, I use the old fashioned Blu Tack worms as a means of masking, particularly those tricky British camouflage patterns.

Yesterday, and for the first time in many years, I had a devil of a job removing the Blu Tack once the paints had dried. It took me at east a couple of hours when normally it just rolls off.

I'm sure this had nothing to do with the paints. I used Sovereign Hobbies (ex White Ensign) Colourcoats, enamels which I have also been using for years with no issues. I thin them with white spirits. This means it had to be the Blu Tack! This may seem odd, but I have a theory and I'm going to share it. I'm a complete cheapskate and I re-use as much material as I can, which includes Blu Tack whenever possible. My theory is that the Blu Tack, having been on several models, has absorbed some of the solvents from the paints and that it is this, in combination with the new paint which is causing it to adhere like the proverbial to a blanket. The Blu Tack is effectively reacting with the paint surface it is masking.
I can't prove this but I did mess up the camouflage pattern on this same subject (don't ask!) and had to do a bit of a re-spray on the outboard third a wing. For this I used exactly the same paints, but a brand new packet of Blu Tack. Guess what? No problems, the masking rolled off the surface as easily as off a sheet of paper! The only thing that has changed is the Blu Tack.

This is probably irrelevant if you use water or alcohol based paints. But if you use paints like enamels or lacquers it could be an issue.

Anyway, having to re-spray the wing has put me back a day, so I'm going to wash the car while the touch up dries!

Cheers

Steve

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Steve, I am going with the assumption that you are in the UK, or at least enjoying the hotter weather? Is it likely that had something to do with it? Always found the warmer it is, it will stick more to surfaces and less to itself.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I am in the UK.
Yes, the heat did occur to me as being a possible cause, because I have noticed exactly the same as you. I resorted to putting the model in the 'wine fridge' (which seems to have a lot of vegetable and salad stuff in it for some reason!) for half and hour yesterday, but it didn't make any difference. I think the telling fact is that it's at least as hot today and the new Blu Tack came off easily (same model, same paints).
Honestly, I can't be sure what's going on, but when I use Blu Tack masking next time it will definitely be from a new packet :smiling3:

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
.......I resorted to putting the model in the 'wine fridge' (which seems to have a lot of vegetable and salad stuff in it for some reason!)

... Now I'm sure there's an offence in there somewhere! ;)

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Never thought of using Blut tac to shape lines...I bought some 'bendy' masking tape, only bends slightly and not enough for camo... May try Blu tac

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Steve, I think your assumption may be right. Blu Tac has oil based properties and may have absorbed the solvents through the years. Mine get very sticky over a period of usage and are relegated to holding down sub assemblies. They're affordable so a change once in a while won't break the bank. I have started using the white one as there is less residue when removed and can be left on for longer periods on the kit.

Del, with Blu Tac you can vary slightly the soft edge between colors by the thickness of the worms itself.

Cheers,
Richard

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Steve, I think your assumption may be right. Blu Tac has oil based properties and may have absorbed the solvents through the years. Mine get very sticky over a period of usage and are relegated to holding down sub assemblies.

Yes. I noticed that the old stuff was stickier than the new stuff but only when I used the new. I hadn't noticed this previously, presumably as it is a gradual increase in stickiness over several uses, but it was certainly noticeable in direct comparison with the new stuff.

I usually use the white stuff too, though the new pack, liberated from the Fuhrerin's office, is a nice shade of pink. I'll keep an eye out for any unwanted residue.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Never thought of using Blut tac to shape lines...I bought some 'bendy' masking tape, only bends slightly and not enough for camo... May try Blu tac

It's an easy process, and as Richard said, by varying th size of the worms and making sure you spray at 90 degrees to them, you can slightly alter the 'hardness' of the demarcation.

These are skinny worms applied on a Tempest which already has the lighter upper colour (Ocean Grey) applied. I wanted a hard demarcation.

IMG_1723.JPG

Fill in the area to remain grey, I use tape, and then spray the Dark Green

IMG_1724.JPG

Remove masking, which should be quite straight forward and take a matter of minutes, and with a bit of luck you'll have a camouflage scheme close to that you were aiming at.

IMG_1725.JPG

Cheers

Steve

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
It's an easy process, and as Richard said, by varying th size of the worms and making sure you spray at 90 degrees to them, you can slightly alter the 'hardness' of the demarcation.

These are skinny worms applied on a Tempest which already has the lighter upper colour (Ocean Grey) applied. I wanted a hard demarcation.

View attachment 386401

Fill in the area to remain grey, I use tape, and then spray the Dark Green

View attachment 386402

Remove masking, which should be quite straight forward and take a matter of minutes, and with a bit of luck you'll have a camouflage scheme close to that you were aiming at.

View attachment 386403

Cheers

Steve

Love it!

Everyday is a school day here!

Del

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
I take it brush painting would benefit with this method?
I don't think I'm anywhere near the skill level to be competent with an airbrush!

I've ordered some white Blu tac, I just hope I can roll it into worms that thin!! :tongue-out2:

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Oooh Del, I don't think brush painting will work with this, perhaps using a sponge brush to dab on the edges of the Blu Tac might work. If you do have to use a paint brush then tack the worms down properly and don't apply too thick a layer of paint because it may puddle up and create a raised demarcation line. Blu Tac works best for air brushing.

Cheers,
Richard

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Cheers Richard...I know airbrushing is the way forward, just need to weigh up pricing and skill level factors before I take the plunge...

What concerns me is paying out for a bit of kit I'm pants at using!! :smiling5: