boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thinking a the guns Chris, I remember as a nipper in the late sixties seeing a sailing model of HMS Hood demonstrated on Blue Peter. It was about six foot long as I remember, and obviously sailed around under radio control. As the finale of the demo it rotated it’s turrets and fired a broadside of matches. I thought it was the coolest thing ever......no idea how it was done at the time (I was about 8), but could probably work it out now.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Good grief, that will be fantastic if you can pull it off. Yet more electrics though, I’d forget which button does what.

MORNING Tim yes so will i i reckon but ive maybe up to 22 funckions on that R/C SO I MAY AS WELL USE THEM but to do this will be a struggle i reckon but unless i try i may never know what could have been but its goin to take a lot of thought an plannin ahead to do this as makin the turrets travase is the easy part as the turret does so on my norfolk an like the FLASHING LED'S in the gun barrels that easy

the hard part is gettin the guns to elevate but i may have a micro servo fitted in the turret tube or the way i done on my edinbough was as the turret turns there is a high point cam that starts off low an as the turret turns fitted in the guns barrel inside the turret there will be a small cam wheel fitted to the gun barrel an spring loaded so that when on the cam high point the guns are pushed up an led's would then flash

an then when i travis the turret straight again the spring will pull down the gun barrles ( ok clear as mud i presume but it worked ok on that model ) an gun fire sound would be easy again as when the turret at it shooting point it would hit a knock on switch which would activate the gun fire sound unit hows that
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thinking a the guns Chris, I remember as a nipper in the late sixties seeing a sailing model of HMS Hood demonstrated on Blue Peter. It was about six foot long as I remember, and obviously sailed around under radio control. As the finale of the demo it rotated it’s turrets and fired a broadside of matches. I thought it was the coolest thing ever......no idea how it was done at the time (I was about 8), but could probably work it out now.

YEA TIM it would have been proberly like ive just said but springs inside the gun barraels to fire the matchsticks like i said you dont not whats possible unless you try an thank you for tellin me as i missed that as i was proberly out chasein the girls at that age now im to old to catch them lol
chris

• Haha
Reactions: JR

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Chris

That is just magnificent. I would not want to see the size of the sprue gates that come with that whopper.

John

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Beautiful work Chris. That is one big ship. Puts my 1/350 Zulu to shame!!
John.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I just had a catch-up and I am gob smacked! She is quite a size and should be queen of the pond for quite a while when she's out sailing.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Chris, I could probably still catch them, but I have forgotten what to do next LOL...
I think the matchsticks were Swan Vestas and fired by being electrically heated up. I remember a cap gun sort of noise when they fired.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris

That is just magnificent. I would not want to see the size of the sprue gates that come with that whopper.

John
HELLO John sprue gates:thinking: eh well you ought to have seen the box she come in lol
;) :rolling::smiling:
chris

• Haha

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Beautiful work Chris. That is one big ship. Puts my 1/350 Zulu to shame!!
John.
AN HI TO YOU John an yea she is a bit big an thank you for your nice comment on tiger an your hms ZuLu is not put to shame no way in my opinion an you should take pride in her as i loved that type of ship in the cruel sea as the cumpase rose really brilliant ship they took nr everything the atlantic could throw at them an im lookin forward to seein her built an my boaty mate has the matchbox one of these all built an in camoflage an it looks a very nice model an its in his living room in a cabeinet with a glass front an he is very proud of his ship so will you be when she's built
ATB chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well I just had a catch-up and I am gob smacked! She is quite a size and should be queen of the pond for quite a while when she's out sailing.

AN HI TO YOU ALSO Ian an yea i was also a bit gob smacked! when i fitted her all togeather an a bit stunned as the plans dont do it justice in size till you see it put togeather an i had to sit down to take it all in an :thinking: well there is as much again to still be fitted on her things like all the railing as ive got 100 ft of brass rod to fit on as remember its three rails each side an all the railing on the other decks an around the radar scanners an all the eletrics :thinking: i'll have a long white berd i reckon by the time i finish her an she has got too pass all her water tests in the tank so still a heck of a lot to do on her an hopefuly the pond will still be there to sail her on lol
ATB thanks for lookin in an your nice comments Ian
stay safe an well
chris an jen

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris, I could probably still catch them, but I have forgotten what to do next LOL...
I think the matchsticks were Swan Vestas and fired by being electrically heated up. I remember a cap gun sort of noise when they fired.
AN HI Tim yes i wish i could catch them:rolling: but i havnt forgotten what to do but my back wont let me lol not to menshion jen seein id be right in deep dodo lol
an i wish they would show that hood again on bluepeter as i bet it was great to see that as ive seen several model ship with fireing guns an it really was great an a good bang as well that made poeple look ATB an cheers for you lookin in
chris

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
She really is the dogs do-dahs Chris......absolutely amazing :smiling4::smiling4::smiling4:

Seeing it in its entirety is quite breathtaking :flushed:!
Your going to get a lot of admirers when you take her out for a splash:cool:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yeah Chris, you better hope they don't get rid of the pond........I don't think your bathtub would be able to handle her. LOL :thinking: ;) Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Chris can't add any more as its all been said, but the Committee here at Race Towers have agreed an early award. As the model is so big you get a .

2020DB.jpg

Full size, the Committee are looking fwd to testing and the paintwork. Absolutely brilliant work.
Hope Jen has somewhat forgiven you for your recent misdemeanors.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hiya Chris. I think you have got a bit confused somewhere. The ship in Cruel Sea was a corvette, while Zulu is a Tribal class destroyer. Much, much larger.
John.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
She really is the dogs do-dahs Chris......absolutely amazing :smiling4::smiling4::smiling4:

Seeing it in its entirety is quite breathtaking :flushed:!
Your going to get a lot of admirers when you take her out for a splash:cool:

HI Si nice to see you on here an glad you you think she is breathtaking an yea normally when i took nimtz an take my norfolk up the pond i have a job of askin people to stand back so i can launch the ships as the hollidmakers were very instrested in seein the ships sail AN sorry guys been off a while as pc crashed
all best Si
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris can't add any more as its all been said, but the Committee here at Race Towers have agreed an early award. As the model is so big you get a .

View attachment 419396

Full size, the Committee are looking fwd to testing and the paintwork. Absolutely brilliant work.
Hope Jen has somewhat forgiven you for your recent misdemeanors.

OH John dont quite know what to say in getting the FULL SIZE dog's :flushed::rolling::nerd::cool::smiling::smiling: what a trophy lol
an many thanks for all the likes there were 66 likes up an wow thats the highest i ever seen them cheers John
an yes jen forgiven me for my recent misdemeanors. as i took her out tonight for a fish an chip supper for tiffen lol
ATB chris an jen

• Haha

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hiya Chris. I think you have got a bit confused somewhere. The ship in Cruel Sea was a corvette, while Zulu is a Tribal class destroyer. Much, much larger.
John.
OH I SAY John sorry on that dint know the difference but you build it with pride an be proud of her an im followin the build if i may
chris