Boatmans Super Tomcat F14D Build

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Definitely looking the part now Chris. The lighting and that open engine cover really take this to another level. Well done indeed.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WOOHOO - those lights are cool Chris, and it looks good with the nose on!
THANKS Arnold yes im pleased at how things are goin but a battle she is puttin up a good fight as that bloomin engine panel nearly sent me round the bend just when i thought id got it acceptable it goes an bends out again but ive fixed it again an now it should stay fixed an look right yes there are slight gaps bits but they need to be there as if to tight a fit it will jam an not open
thanks for havin a look at what im doin my freind an hope you are well
It’s starting to look like a plane now, you’re on the right track :smiling3:
AN YES Jakko she is an yes on the right track but how all the fusalarge will fit i just dont know as ive treid to do some dry fittin but as its so big i cant get it all lined up yet till all the eletrics plugs all fitted an all the wires connected up an ive still got the wings wires to come in when i fit them for the nav lights an also the tails verticals lights wires to also come in so about 17 wires all told to connect up to the main feed wires but it will come as i love the eletrics most enjoyable for me to see it all light up an to you also cheers for stoppin

Definitely looking the part now Chris. The lighting and that open engine cover really take this to another level. Well done indeed.
an thank you to you Jim also its nice to see you guys all takin an instrest in what im tryin to build here an i hope you are enjoyin the build like me even though its a battle but if it was easy an not a challange i think i would get bored easy as i like a model that makes me think an use the ole grey fossalized matter lol an to you sir also cheers for stoppin an like all the guys you have given me a lot of support many thanks all will SEE if im still sane at the end of this build LOL
ATB ALL
Chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Looking great! Those hinges are brilliant!
HI James yes i use them quite alot as they are dolls house hinges an they come in sevral sizes as there are some even smaller than im usein but i find these are the best ones for me as ive used some on my tiger for opening water tight doors an they are easy to fit in place hope you are enjoyin your self where you are on board ship
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant…. keep it coming Chris.
HI Joe yes still WIP but im gettin het up an stressed as while doin the eletrics my test leads dint work on the lights an i thought now what but on closer inspection the idiot who made the lead with the crocodile clips have just pushed the wire into the croc clip holder an just crimped the wires up both ends an then to cap it all my new circut tester just fell to bits an i thought id just solder the wire back onto the main spring well when i took the top off the tester the blasted big spring has just shot into infinitey an i cant find it Aaaarrrrccchhhhhhhh so for now usein a old one not very good but well better than northin
A STRESSED Chrisb lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS well i had a little break from the big cat an had a day playin PGA tour golf on my megadrive tv game an it was very relaxin an now im back on that cats eletrics an here in this pic im now tryin to figer out how best to wire up all the eletric wires that work the lights an there was 8 wires to do on the nose an now another 18 wires in the bottom half of the fusalage an another 17 wires to connect up in the top half of the fusalarge so a bit complex an in this pic the right hand plug takes power to the top half of the fuselarge an the left plug will take the rear under cart lights wires an the wings nav lights an the plug that lay horizontal will take power to the nose seckion as these wires are on plug so when i just push in the nose section it will all just plug in now some pics here the plugs IMG_9081.JPG

here an over all pic of the bottom half of the fusalage connected by wires in a plug to the top half an yes so far all lights work ok an im tryin to keep the wires as neat as poss an ive fitted in an emegency power plug in case the main one fails IMG_9082.JPG

AN HERE now ive got to start fittin on the tail veticals so i can wire up the tail strobe lights in side the top half an so far just one vertical fitted as they were not a good fit now to losse so had to right it up by eye IMG_9084.JPG

An here the second vertical fitted an to me they do not look right but have measured them an they are spot on so maybe its how big it is thats thrown me an now to turn it upside down an solder all 6 wires from the tail lights to the main top fusalarge wire so they will be all connected to just the main down take plug phew IMG_9085.JPG

AN OH GAWRD ive foggotten the other two wires pos an neg that feeds the light in the egine bay panel so another two to fit hope im on the right track here
chrisb

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
At least you remembered now, before you glued everything together …

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
At least you remembered now, before you glued everything together …
HI Jakko yea im glad i did or it would have been as waste of time cuttin out the engine bay if no light to see the engine oh boy i really must think ahead more
before i do any fusalarge gluein an i must say this is the hardest kit ive ever treid to build but must admit ive bought extra work on myself fittin lights an such but ive enjoyed the challenge so far thanks for stoppin an havin a look see
chrisb

Really taking shape now matey.
AN HI Scottie yes she's comin togeather now just got to make sure i remember all them wires are al fitted as they are hair thin an so easy to miss an as Jakko has said above just as well i dint glue the two halves togeather yet but i will have a major inspection of the insides to make sure this dont happen
cheers Scottie
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL another short update as god there is a lot to paint on this model
an here both wings are now all sprayed up an finshed so they are now ready to be fitted in the planes bottom half all ready to have their nav lights wired in to the main circutIMG_9088.JPG

an here the top half of the fusalarge showin the main power plug that will plug in in the lower halfIMG_9089.JPG

AN A SHOT of the back main undercart now all fitted in an again notthing fitted so had to work at this to get them both to fit IMG_9091.JPG

an still a heck of a lot of parts still to fit IMG_9090.JPG

AN Painted the opening engine panel in copper colour like the pics mike has kindly fitted on here IMG_9093.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Just building the model is a difficult job but adding all the lights etc is taking this modelling to another level. You're doing a great job.
HI Jim yea building this model has been a right pig an a pita due to fitting but i like doin that bit extra Jim if you know what i mean but i think it will look good an something different which is what im aimin for
ATB chrisb