Bob's Dragon 1/35: StuG 111 Ausf G

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening just got in and eh by gum is nippy the Alfa says its 4 and all moggies in front of the fire agree:fearful:

Right lets get going, this will be my poor effort :upside:

Carried some out rivet counting and i will alter it slightly to a August early September 1944 build, explanation at the bottom of the thread

Stug G GB 1 016.JPG

Those who have built Dragon kits will know of there use of many, many sprues from other kits to make up a new kit. Often two sprues will have the same letter, so its a nightmare finding this and that. So saw a very simple solution on Youtube, used masking tape to label them!! below are the many bags of bits with my labels
Stug G GB 002.JPG
Stug G GB 003.JPG
Stug G GB 001.JPG
Stug G GB 004.JPG
Stug G GB 005.JPG
Stug G GB 007.JPG
Stug G GB 008.JPG
Stug G GB 006.JPG
Stug G GB 009.JPG

I plan to also add a full interior using these, they just say for dragon kit?? so might go pear shaped. Never tried this so no time like now :smiling6:
Stug G GB 015.JPG

The plan is to do a diorama showing an engine change, engine deck on floor, engine out and a truck with crane in attendance along with mechanics preparing a new engine. I have never made a diorama so this will stretch my meague skills to breaking point:dizzy:
However this will allow mud, mud glorious mud, that i love :thumb2:
Stug G GB 014.JPG

Never thought I would do this but for the very first time I checked the kit against my knowledge and my numerous books.
So below is my evidence as to its build time and problems with the kit
My build of this StuG 111 will show a vehicle built at the Alkett factory in Berlin in either August or very early in September 1944 (end of zimmerit)
Plus points:
It has the barrel support bracket on the bow plate, fitted by Alkett from July 1944
It has the correct number of Pilze on the roof 3. These were fitted July – October 1944. 5 Pilze were fitted after October 1944
It has the waffle style of zimmerit used by Alkett which was dropped in early September 1944
The kit give 3 choices of fire extinguisher location, so the one I will use is for a StuG built in August 1944

Negatives:
It has the wrong style of rear exhaust box’s, the ones below have a cut out at the bottom and i have seen these in use but also the other earlier type as well? Below is the correct exhaust box's
Stug G GB 010.JPG

The kit says to fit the commanders hatch lid rubber bump stop, this was discontinued in June 1944. Picture below shows the bump stop
Also the hinge and the hatch plate should have a cut out for the new type hatch hinge and wooden block

Stug G GB 013.JPG
It has the wrong rear light on the left hand rear fender, should be the tubular type, top one is in the kit but i should have the tubular type somewhere in another kit
Stug G GB 012.JPG
The opening for the close defence weapon was sealed internally on Alkett vehicles from May to September 1944, the kit says to fit an external cover, this was fitted by the Miag factory not Alkett
will use a bit of plastic to close off from inside to correctly replicate the vehicle, Picture shows the correct top modification at Alkett
Stug G GB 011.JPG

The kit seems more complex than other Stugs i have built and very detailed in areas, looks lovely

Hope this is not too long but i hope shows what a nerd i am to the all things mighty StuG !!!

Will start either Monday or Tuesday to run alongside the Hummel

bob

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
This is going to be a stellar build bob. Watching this

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I shall follow this with interest as I have a few stugs. in the stash that are early G's. I'm glad you are doing a late version as that is one I plan to build. Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well Bob just looked through your blog an by gum the kit has a heck of a lot of bits but will follow your thread an see if you get a new engine
chris

D

Deleted member 7181

Definitely one to watch. Give it some beans Bob

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
thanks chaps, will take time but being on long term sick i have a few hours spare lol

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Welcome aboard Scottie, should give me a few sleepless nights lol

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
This looks like a great kit, and a big task with the inclusion of the crane car into a diorama. Exciting!

Looking forward to hearing how the Dragon parts are, where there were mold lines, difficult cutting, etc.

And I hope you will enjoy the build!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Will let you know! Always found the kits to be very good but those awful plans!! Clear as mud!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well as every body appears to be here or catching the no 11 bus I shall grab a seat next to Paul.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Welcome John, would you like a nice foam fire extinguisher to hand??

Right i had better catch up if i can :thumb2:

Added the torsion bars, suspension arms, bump stops and dampers, impressed with the random zimmerit, to me looks ok

Kit has the correct drive sprockets as well, sorry the nerd in me has arrived:tongue-out3:
Stug G GB 001.JPG
Stug G GB 002.JPG
Stug G GB 003.JPG

Next step is to see if the engine bay CMK resin sets fits????????

bob

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Bob,

Waffle Zimm looks pretty good there. Having the same probs with my dragon destructions (make no sense). I have never used a CMK kit, but at least yours is for a Dragon kit and not Tamiya....You go!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Allen already found problems such as wrong part numbers:tired:

Bash at the engine bay next, big test for me!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Bob,

Yup, the same here with the part numbers. It's like a soup sandwich. I also started on my CMK engine compartment and it looks like it will work out well without too much butchery at all.

Just be careful with the resin pour stubs as some are rather large. I hope you have a JLC razor saw and maybe an extra blade to cut them off. It's best to do this wet as the resin dust is nasty. If not, then please wear a mask. I hope to post some pics tomorrow,,,

Reactions: JR

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks for the advice Allen, i have that saw, should be fun!!