Bob's Dragon 1/35: StuG 111 Ausf G

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening Bob, good kit well detailed but yes lots and lots of parts and a lot not used:upside:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Sorry for the late arrival Bob. I asked security where the Stug build was being done and 38 posts later I finally found you. What have you started! LOL

Looks like you have plenty to keep you going for 6 months and some. Your brain must hurt with all that reference work you have been doing. I hope you have a trouble free build. Good luck

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like you will be busy plenty to build on having won the longest thread title EVER!
First prize? a choice between washing up or peeling the spuds for a month!

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
The waffle zim definitely looks good! Like what I see so far, and would love a crack at this kit myself some day.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Steve, did you get the PM? Might need a extension to the 6 months lol. Enjoyed the research, been practicing by picking a random photo and working out its build etc, really do need tablets:upside:

Ian, famous at last, washing up please, keeps my nails clean and shiny lol. Terrible prize by the way :worried:
The waffle zim definitely looks good! Like what I see so far, and would love a crack at this kit myself some day.
Will let you know soon enough:surprised:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great project Bob and a nice start at tacking the Dragon bits, good luck sifting through all the spues for your parts :thumb2: .

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Great project Bob and a nice start at tacking the Dragon bits, good luck sifting through all the spues for your parts :thumb2: .
Ta very much! My labelling system on the sprues is working well, at least the letters now stand out

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Bob,
Off to a fine start. Are the torsion bars workable or just for show?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Completed my least favorite job all those blasted wheels

Took a few lumps out of the tyres for good measure
Stug G GB 1 001.JPG

Started on the rear panel and built up the track tensioners

now a question

Made a start on the resin parts but as the garage was freezing and my glasses kept misting up i gave up and beat a retreat back to the house and a coffee:fearful:

Despite cutting off a lot of the stubs there is still a bit left on, tried to trim with a scalpel but no good any ideas how to trim down?

Not happy with using the saw again as i might cut to close and ruin things:worried:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Despite cutting off a lot of the stubs there is still a bit left on, tried to trim with a scalpel but no good any ideas how to trim down?
Cut them as close as you dare then sand them down. Ba careful of the dust nasty stuff and you dont want to breath it in. So a dust mask is a great idea. (even though a pain for us that use spectacles-"! ) A damp cloth on the bench is a simple way to stop the stuff blowing all over the place.
Start with a coarse grad and finish with a fine grade. Rinse the dust off dont blow it off!

D

Deleted member 7181

Made a start on the resin parts but as the garage was freezing and my glasses kept misting up i gave up and beat a retreat back to the house and a coffee:fearful:

I'm another that needs to don my thermals in preparation for a bench session. Even the quick setting Tamiya extra thin needs a hairdryer to help it on it's way :smiling5:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks all

I had a mask on thanks but thought i kept going blind:flushed:

will have to use the saw to get a bit closer as theres too much to sand. More doctors thursday so will have to wait till Friday

Happy the wheels are out of the way, not thinking about how many sets to do in the future!!!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Scrape them off with your knife. This avoids producing resin dust, which Ian warns about.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Right back on with it, but waste of time

Finally re started on the resin, used a razor saw and yes the blade snapped aaargghh

Then realised d'oh i had a bought a parkhouse mini drill so used that, perfect but quickly saw the horrible dust so glad i had my mask on!

The CMK resin engine is poo! Terrible instructions and even worse fit

This picture is one of the engine support brackets and yes it fits but the 2 holes too the right are to allow the rear torsion bars to go through and yes they are miles away, not really miles but you know what i mean

20200130_114732.jpg

Next came the fuel tank, underneath there is a cutout to allow it to sit on top of the torsion bar anchor point but its in the wrong place so needs a lot of cutting.
20200130_114500.jpg
20200130_114448.jpg

For me its a totally waste of money, has anybody had these problem.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Glad to see you battling on with this project. Sorry its not going smoothly at the moment. Can't help you with your question I'm afraid

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Steve, good to hear from you.

After a few hours with the minidrill i finally got most things to actually fit, my god the dust!!

20200131_120630.jpg

Some work still to do, including tidying up, but got the fuel tank to fit and cooling fans. Engine and bits loose!

The plans are shocking, they do not even give you a clue where stuff goes so i spent a while on the web, found a picture of a real StuG engine bay and others of this kit in place so at least had an idea where everything goes, especially the radiators.

Getting there and swear box full:thumb2: