Bombing Up.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This is a little diorama with the 1/72 Hasegawa Lancaster as the centre piece....... http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/1-72-scale-lancaster-hasegawa.23015/

The Lancaster was a generous gift from Roman (Vajled) all the way from Croatia so I decided to invest in some bits and pieces to jazz it up a bit. It's a good kit, I made some observations in the original build thread (link above)

The Airfix figures are absolutely appalling, don't buy them. I can't be any more clear than that :smiling3:

The old Airfix airfield set from which the vehicles and accessories come is really rather good despite its age.

Here's some piccies of the finished 'ensemble'.

One 'reconnaissance' photo :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Love it Steve. Very well done :smiling3:

First Name
Mike
Lovely work on the Lanc itself and all the airfield details, Steve.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is really very good indeed Steve.

Great job on the Lanc. the ground support units are also very well made and painted (proving that you can build things without wings).

You even remebered to dress the props.

Gong on the way!

Ian M

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Stunning work Steve, all has come together to create a superb scene. Great photography too, love the background.

Si:smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top work steve , the scene is excellent as is the build. The figures dont look bad at all, I know from my own experience (H.J.M dio) they can be a pig to clean up/paint . Excellent job mate , cheers tony

A

AlasdairGF

Wonderful stuff, hope I can do something half as good!

Was the Airfix kit you mention this one: http://www.airfix.com/shop/diorama-and-buildings/a05330-bomber-re-supply-set-172/?

View attachment 75382

(Have had my eye on that... need to recover from Xmas financially first, of course...!)

resupply.jpg

W

Willi262

You're right, the figures look a little bland, but everything else is awesome, so the balance is paid out.

Overall, looks great!

B

Bunkerbarge

Lovely job, great scene telling a story with some lovely detail. I was on an ex Lancaster bomber base this afternoon and looking around at old WWII Lancaster artefacts. All very sobering, particularly when you read through some of the letters to relatives from the Squadron Leader and remember the ages of those involved, and that includes the Squadron Leaders.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Evenin' all !

Thanks for the positive comments, I'm glad you like it.

I've had to disassemble the whole thing and put it on a smaller, grass, base as this one won't fit on top of my cupboard :smiling3: It might not be very realistic but I got to add some of nature's lawn mowers.......sheep.

Alasdair, that is the one I used. I obviously didn't use everything in there (didn't want to over egg the pudding!) but what I did use went together very nicely indeed. No complaints and good value for money. If you use the bomb trolleys you'll have terrific fun painting the wheels :smiling3:

The figures are absolutely horrible. They are badly made, hard to clean up, and paint doesn't like to stick to them. I froze them to clean them up, and they need a lot of cleaning. I used the grit trick (is that Colin's ?) to rough them up a bit too. I primed them and painted with enamels, most of which has stayed on. I was going to re-pose some of them but gave up as none of the numerous glues I have would work properly. Even the trolley accumulator from that set is a P.O.S.

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Superb work Steve, it's all come together nicely mate :smiling3:

A

AJay

There's a lot of work in this one! Great job on the Lanc and ground crew. The Lanc's tyres are very convincing, too!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You should ought to do more dios Steve. You obviously have the knack and your build/paint skills have created a cracker!

Gern