Bowcat's 1/35 Meng Panther A

First Name
colin
Hi Bob tracks looking good I agree about the amount of cleaning required but they look the business once they are done.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Col. :smiling3:

Yes, they should give an authentic sag when fitted. I did test fit the side I had completed, getting the interleaved wheels on and off was fun. :smiling3:

I really wish I hadn't fitted the Schurzen hangers yet though, I broke or bent a couple during the test fit. :sad:

First Name
colin
If I remember correctly I left the drive wheel loose and threaded the track over the road wheels before inserting the last pin into the tracks.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
As you say a lot of good progress. The zimm has gone on very well. It is nice and thin so looks right. Tracks look the part but shame so much clean up was needed.
Jim

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
So I got to painting. Primer first, followed by taking a knife to the Zimmerit to show some battle damage. I took it fairly easy, my plan (after painting the topcoat) is to go around the edges of the damage with a concrete grey, and an oxidizes colour in the middle.

MVIMG_20180720_192254.jpgMVIMG_20180720_192306.jpg
MVIMG_20180721_125349.jpg
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the tracks, the original plan was to go over with a top coat but I quite like the primer colour so may leave it at that and weather over the top.

Next was the dunkengelb coat.

IMG_20180722_154346.jpg

And that's going to be about it for a couple of weeks. We are off to Cyprus on Wednesday so other than painting the tyre black on I'm not going to do much more until I get back. :smiling3:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Bob,
Someone said Panther so I figured I better drop by. The resin zim is new to me but looks very effective. I have done 2 panthers with zimmeritt coatings using the Tamiya putty and exacto saw blade. Tedious work. yours looks much easier. :thumb2:
Cheers,
Rick H.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Rick. :smiling3:

Funnily enough I just bought the Tamiya Zim tool, but I want to practice on a cheaper kit first. I've got a few Tamiya Tigers in the stash that I bought cheap, so one of those can be my test mule.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great update Bob. Looks like the base coat has gone well. Good luck with the detail painting. The Zim will look great once the pin washes have been done:thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Funny you should mention Tigers, I have one in progress with a putty applied zimmeritt utilizing automotive body shop Glazing Putty. I don't know if they have it where you are located but it is a very fine, fast drying putty that is used to fill minor imperfections in bondo filled repairs prior to priming and Painting. Here are a few shots in 1/87 scale. If it is possible in this scale just think what you could do in 1/35th scale.
Cheers, Rick H.P1010525.JPGP1010526.JPGP1010527.JPG

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers gents. :smiling3:

Yes, we have a product called P38 which is a 2 part car body filler. I've used it in the past to bed rifle actions.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
looking good Bob,
i do love a good Panther, and this is shaping up to be spectacular, that Zim is gorgeous....:thumb2: looking forward to seeing more.:smiling:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Cheers gents. :smiling3:

Yes, we have a product called P38 which is a 2 part car body filler. I've used it in the past to bed rifle actions.
Bob, glazing putty, aka knifing stopper, is a 1-part filler for the minor imperfections that are too small to fill with the likes of P38.

Pete

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Bob,
That's the beauty of this type of putty. you only do a small segment at a time and keep moving on. In 20 minutes time you can come back and pick up where you left off. No ill effects. Just squeeze out small amounts and use the Tamiya rake as your applicator/spreader as you go. Practice can be accomplished on a scrap piece if styrene or even card stock. It is actually easier than it sounds. Cool weather would be helpful for greater pot life while working.
Good Luck,
Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Rick
If you find your pot of knife stopping drying out it can be reactivated with cellulose thinners. It’s basically solid cellulose primer in a tin.....I used to use it as a filler on etched brass locos back in the day.....
Cheers
Tim