Bowcat's Meng 1/48 F/A-18E Super Hornet - Top Gun: Maverick

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking good with the decals on. Must have required plenty of patience. You're right to keep the weathering light, the film's planes were "well kept" if memory serves.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning all. :smiling3:

Did the first stage of weathering over the weekend, which consisted of a Grime clay wash. Most of it was taken off, just enough to highlight the detail and leave a slightly dusty, worn look over the airframe. The film is partly set at Naval Air Station Fallon, Nevada, and the aircraft in this colour scheme is used for instruction, so looks to have been kept in generally very good condition. I also added a little black panel liner into the grilles.

52823241737_fc834eee0b_b.jpg

I'm going to follow this up with a little bit of localised oil streaking, but again this will be kept minimal in keeping with the film.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning guys. :smiling3:

Got back onto this over the weekend. It's probably hard to see from the photo's but I've added a few streaks with oils. As mentioned above, I'm not wanting to dirty this up too much so it's all quite subtle. Once this was dry I went over with a matt coat.

52841177897_6226332abe_b.jpg

52841940524_b9ac8c1fa0_b.jpg

52842192658_02008ba533_b.jpg

It's now pretty much ready for final assembly, I just have to paint some nav lights on and get a base sorted.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
First sorry for missing the start Bob, looks quite a size sitting in the booth .
Good you were able to do that repair, like Jakko said if you hadn't pointed it out many wouldn't have noticed .
Lovely detail, esp with the mottling.
Unfortunately I've not seen the film !!!!!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
First sorry for missing the start Bob, looks quite a size sitting in the booth .
Good you were able to do that repair, like Jakko said if you hadn't pointed it out many wouldn't have noticed .
Lovely detail, esp with the mottling.
Unfortunately I've not seen the film !!!!!!
WELL Get the film John as we enjoyed it very much only fault i could find was the plot for he target is much like 633 sqr
chrisb

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Only just seen this one bob , fantastic work , and quick too! It looks like a lovely kit , very nicely detailed . Cheers tony

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Bob,
My apologies mate, I have completely missed this up until now. Just had a catch up from the beginning. The paint work is superb.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's a mighty fine paint job Bob. The oil weathering is very nicely done.