"Breakthrough" - A Soviet 1/48th Diorama

G

Greg147

Hi all,

I've been spending a fair amount of time on the forum, admiring people's dioramas and learning techniques from them wherever I can, so I thought it was about time I showed one of my own for your viewing pleasure.

This is my second attempt at a diorama (and my first attempt at snow), entitled 'Breakthrough', and is set on the Eastern front during the Second World War. The Soviet spearhead, made entirely of armored units, has punched a hole in the German line, and this scene depicts the second wave, motorized infantry, moving up to cleanse the area of any stragglers.

Enjoy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Spot on Greg. Excellent diorama with loads going on.

The German trench is first class and I see you have not forgotten the obligatory Forum bucket!

Well done.

Ron

G

Greg147

Thanks for the feedback Ron. Funnily enough, when choosing which halftrack to buy, the deciding factor was that the Tamiya one came with a bucket (well, and a panzershreck) ;)

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's a nice piece of work there Greg. What's next on your 'to do' list?

Gern

G

Greg147

Thanks, my next project is in 1/72nd scale. It will be a scene from the Chechen War, featuring a Spetsnaz commando team whose chopper has been shot down during an extraction. At the moment, I've constructed the downed Mi-8, and the basic landscape, as well as a farmhouse. When completed, it will show a large force of Chechen militia converging of the crash site, with a T-55 rolling up in support. The Spetsnaz will be holding their ground, using stone walls for cover. Hopefully, it will turn out well, but I'm still experimenting with many things ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Thanks for the feedback Ron. Funnily enough, when choosing which halftrack to buy, the deciding factor was that the Tamiya one came with a bucket (well, and a panzershreck) ;)
No problem Greg, it's good to have new members on here. Whether their work is good, bad or indifferent, they will always receive a warm welcome, bucket or not!!

Your next project sounds good. Any photos yet?

Cheers,

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice work Greg. I like a nice busy and bloodthirsty scene!

Cheers

Steve

G

Greg147

I haven't got any pics of the one I'm working on at the moment, but I may take some and post a new thread up. I'm currently trying to create some trees, so perhaps when I've done a few of those it will look good enough to show as a work in progress. At the moment it's pretty bland, but as soon as the materials I've ordered come, I can start piling on the detail.

As always, thanks for the comments. It's much appreciated.

L

lalo

... :surrender: Very good Greg147. I like the realism and sail and tragic stories. ........ Congratulations on that diorama. ... Jorge. :surrender:

D

dead-mans-click

Holy crap, that is so good, its the best one ive every seen, so much going on in it.

Top class buddy

G

Greg147

Many thanks for the comments guys, it's really appriciated; gives me the motivation to try and best myself ;)

N

norm

Its really nice, but I just think there faces and hands are to clean, and maybe some eyes could add to the figures. Other than that, it is fantastic, I ought to try my hand at a winter scene.

G

Greg147

Thanks for the feedback Norm. I'll admit, the faces are my least favorite part of the model; as you say, there's no detail on them, and they don't fit well with the scene they're in. I've been looking at some tutorials for faces since I finished this diorama, and when I next get a chance, I plan to buy a 1/32 figure set, and practice using those. With any luck, I'll get some decent results, and be able to use those techniques on smaller 1/48 figures, like these.

F

Fenlander

I would never try to put eyes (as in white with black dots in) in reality, yo would not see anyones eyes at this scale, not keen on them at 1:35 either. I know some do, again it is personal taste.

G

Greg147

I see what you mean, Fenlander. There are a fair few figures I have seen that have a constant look of suprise due to eyes being too large, or too 'open', and would probably look better without. Then again, I've also seen many where the eyes are just subtle enough to look natural, and well placed. I guess I'll experiment, and see if I can get a result that I like.