Some good pe work there as well.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Brian,
Nice! Those pom-poms are looking particularly good
I used to use a scalpel on a porcelain tile to cut PE, but now I use surgical gum scissors
gum scissors.jpg
Very sharp, and I can get a much neater job........
Dave

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Very neat PE Brian. All the time there is still more PE than CA we're winning!
Large parts I cut with a very small scissors, small parts with a round scalpel blade with more of a roll than a drawing action. I must confess to dropping the tile to cut on. I was breaking more blades and they blunted way to fast. I have a bit of thick plastic card or just the cutting mat. Any small burr or deformation are easy sorted.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very nice work. I’m impressed with the consistency between pieces. That’s not easy to achieve on small PE like this….

I cut PE using a curved scalpel blade as well, also using a rocking action. However, I cut on a scrap of melamine shelf. It supports the piece but allows the blade to cut in a little so maximising blade life.

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Morning guys, just done a couple of hours this morning as I'm making a curry :tears-of-joy:
20230108_102905.jpg
How many :sad:

20230108_102920.jpg

I know there back to front but I wanted the detail on the front. (not that you can see much there tiny)
20230108_103601.jpg
Gave the mast some primer

What paint do you guys use ? I was going to use Tamiya acrylic but seen some Tamiya lacquer but never used it!!
20230108_103610.jpg

Brian

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
62!! - oh what fun :rolling:
I have to agree with Tim. Tamiya acrylic with a lacquer thinner does spray beautifully. Tamiya acrylic is not a true acrylic so thins with either acrylic or lacquer thinner. Only downside is that it doesn't brush paint very easily so touch up is a bit awkward.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Morning guys, just done a couple of hours this morning as I'm making a curry :tears-of-joy:
View attachment 471139
How many :sad:

View attachment 471140

I know there back to front but I wanted the detail on the front. (not that you can see much there tiny)
View attachment 471141
Gave the mast some primer

What paint do you guys use ? I was going to use Tamiya acrylic but seen some Tamiya lacquer but never used it!!
View attachment 471142

Brian
Brian i know im building bigger at the moment on my tiger but on my plastic ships kits ive built ive always used humbrol no 64 matt light grey in a rattle can an that give a very nice finish an shows all the detail as long as i dint spray to heavy an i use this on my tiger
chrisb

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not acrylic but they are the right colour! https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/royal-navy
If you let me know the colours you need I can let you know the Vallejo equivalent. (And they match very well!)
As for primer. Alclad primer does it for me. Covers well, flats out nicely as well. Goes down thin so keeps the detail crisp.

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Not acrylic but they are the right colour! https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/royal-navy
If you let me know the colours you need I can let you know the Vallejo equivalent. (And they match very well!)
As for primer. Alclad primer does it for me. Covers well, flats out nicely as well. Goes down thin so keeps the detail crisp.
Ian they give me Vallejo colours for the build the only one I'm having trouble matching is narn36-b20 can't find anything close.
Brian