Broken canopy - help!

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
All the canopies on my 1:72 FG.1 Phantom have broken.
Hannants shows the only vacform canopy they offer as out of stock, and to save paying £25 for a whole new kit, does anyone have any suggestions?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Depending which manufacturer the model is from could you not contact them and see if they could send you a spare? I know Revell and Airfix are normally really good at doing this

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Are they? Good tip, I’ll give that a try, thanks.
Are there any ‘pro’ tips for repairing / replacing them in case it ever happens again?
I realise the obvious answer is not to break it in the first place....;)

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
To be honest i've never broken one before so i couldn't suggest a repair. But given the join would be visible i'd just ask for a new one lol

P.S. Welcome to the forum :smiling3:

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Nope, me either, which is why I’m at a loss as what to do!

And thanks, appreciate the welcome.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I wrecked a canopy on an Italeri Stuka once, and got a replacement direct from Italeri. They were really helpful. Failing that, searching the net to source the vac form somewhere else is the only option I can offer.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
If it's broken across the 'glass' part, even if you can glue it together you'll always be able to see the joint. If it's under the canopy framing, there are several types of PVA available which would work and your painted frame would hide most, if not all of the joint.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks!
The damage is right across the ‘spine’, i.e. straight across the top in line with the axis. Classic pinch crack I suppose!
Looked for a vacform. Found one online for around €2.50.
Postage however was €12 from mainland europe!
I’ll get in touch with airfix and see what they say.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I’ll try to find the form, useful to know its there and what I shoukd be looking for.
Thanks Dave!

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Found the form and submitted.
Auto response states that for airfix spares I should allow 28 days. Not clear whether this is for a response or the spare.
I guess I’ll start my harrier frs1 while I wait!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Some years ago I had an Airfix kit that had two sets of upper wing halves but no lower wing halves, so I got t in touch with them about it, and I don’t think you’ll get a reply, just an envelope with the part(s).

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Excellent! I’ll keep an eye out for it.
BTW, they didn’t say ‘no’ explicitly to my little p.s. asking for an advance on the buccaneer...

C

Cameronian

I had a canopy missing from a Minicraft kit. I e-mailed Minicraft in the USA requesting a replacement part and for a PayPal invoice to cover costs. No reply but a few weeks later the part arrived in the post without charge or comment. Quite something.
George

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Chris,
It's a high chance you'll get the part unless it's discontinued like my Italeri Lysander...keep your fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Richard

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
A while ago I was given a 1-25 scale P47 Thunderbolt made by Vintage models with no clear parts or instructions or decals. I couldn't track down Vintage models and it seemed they had gone out of business. I managed to find the instructions online and was figuring out ways to make a canopy for myself, when discovered that Vintage had been taken over by Kinetic. I dropped them an email enquiring if it was possible to buy the parts and they sent me the whole clear sprue and decals about 2 weeks later for free.
fantastic!
all I have to do now is build it.......

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks all for the confidence inspiring posts! I keep my fingers crossed.

I did get an email back asking what I meant by 'buccaneer'.......I suspect the person responding didn't get it.

I'll be sure to let you all know if it arrives.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Ok. So disappointingly I heard back from Airfix today and they are out of stock on the parts I need.

All I need is part F12 which is the rear seat canopy!

I guess I'll be building a second phantom in the near future! Not so bad I guess. I had wanted to a do a folded wing version anyway.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
You could always glue the broken parts together, lightly grease the inside then fill it with Milliput or similar, to make a "buck" to heat-mould some clear plastic over.

Pete