Brush recommendations

T

TonyBv9

I'm using the Humbrol range at the moment, with some other odds and sods by various makers, none of which is great. There's lots of talk about Windsor Newton on modelling forums, but I can't spend that much. What are your preferred brands that don't don't cost big bucks?

I have one Tamiya HF brush, that I'm quite impressed with by comparison. I'm tempted to buy a set. Has anyone else got experience of them?

Thanks

Tony

D

dubster72

Any pure sable brush is well worth the money Tony. Mine are mostly Windsor & Newton and they've lasted me 4 years now with no sign of damage or wear - they still dry into a nice pointed tip!

Other 'art' brands such as Daler Rowney & Pro Arte are not so good IMHO. I've never tried 'modelling' brands.

Cheers

Patrick

T

TonyBv9

Thanks Patrick. Interesting you mention Daler Rowney - I tried some and wasn't that impressed. I understand the price vs length of service argument for Windsor Newton. Maybe I'll get a couple when my wife isn't looking.

Tony

C

CDW

i prefer W&N natural bristle but will entertain any good quality natural bristle to be honest.

at the end of the day (as with most things) the end result will be reflective of the quality of tool choice.

G

GazB

John sells these (although out of stock the the mo' - you can pick them up from all over the place) :-

Modelcraft 5x Sable Brushes TL11606

They are pure sable, reasonably priced, and i have been using them for over 12 months so far without incident.

Last edited:

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I use these, they have lasted me ages although I don't get chance to do much painting lately

T

TonyBv9

Thanks for all the input. I ended up buying a set of four Tamiya HF brushes, and so far they are superb. They are much better than the other "budget" ones I have tried, and I use them all the time now.

Tony