First Name
Jakko
Very good-looking model :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Did this get blogged on the old site 'cause I don't remember it at all? What a cracking result. All the added/improved details. The excellent paint job. I like the way the built up mud was added early on. Carl Startin worked that way - building up the bulk of the mud in the build stage. That second to last photo in b&w could be a reference photo of the real thing.
Jim

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
daaaaaammn ......fantastic, Steve awesome build

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Superb job.....the base kit Has allowed you to generate a great result ...fantastic additions and finishing.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Excellent work Steve,
I remember seeing this before? I think:thinking:
Such a unique build of an obscure subject is guaranteed to be interesting. Thanks for sharing :thumb2:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Many thanks Jakko
I picked up the kit as soon as it came out April/May last year. Then I had to wait another month as the sprues were incorrect and had to wait for Roden to send me replacements. Then it took 7 months to build and paint the thing. There were times when I just had to step away from it for a week or so and then go back to it. There was a lot of work needed to improve the parts. Glad you like the finish. Many thanks Jim
Cheers Greg:smiling::smiling5: That made me laugh. Great stuff.
Thanks Tim. I enjoyed adding on the extras
Thank you Ian. I appreciate it
Kind of you to say Ralph:thumb2:
Apart from a resin kit I think this is the only one available Si. You have seen it before as I PM'd you last year with an update of what I was working on at the time:cool:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow, what a brilliant post Steve. I remember you starting this some time back and thought you had given up .
I agree with Jim, that b/w shot did look real.
Look at how far you have come since we first met on MM .back in 2015, great modelling my friend.
Makes me want to start using oils ! And they burn better :smiling:
JR

R

Robo

Steve, your work is absolutely fantastic, how do you learn all these skills, for an average builder like me it's something to aspire to. You should write a book, or perhaps you already have?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve, your work is absolutely fantastic, how do you learn all these skills, for an average builder like me it's something to aspire to. You should write a book, or perhaps you already have?
Robert you are quite right, I'm with you . Steve manages to explain it so well.
John.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
John/ Robert I am humbled by your comments. John and I started out together at the end of October 2015 on MM. I had never built a plastic kit before but always had a keen interest in history especially WWII.

When I first started I searched for detailed blogs showing me how kits went together and the painting techniques used. This is why I do the same thing with my builds now as a way of giving back to the hobby.

Also the support of the MM guys was immense and I learnt so much just by asking stupid questions and picking up on tips. I am still far behind many others as I develop my "style", as well as buying new tools and supplies that many have accumulated over tens of years of doing this hobby.

I brought several books in the early days like John Prigent, Jose Ruiz, Mig Jemenez, Shep Paine and more recently Mike Rinaldi. Each time I update my "style" and now I feel I am nearly there with regards to producing a "style" that I am happy with. So I would recommend you take as much from all those around you and develop your own look. For instance it is obvious when you see a Peter Day bust or a Grumpa AFV.

I try to add as much colour and layering into a build as I can. Each build will use around 30 to 40 different colours. The engine on the Holt 75 took 13 colours alone to complete. My goals are competitions and magazine/book work. I am not at the standard of the latter yet but this is ultimately what I would like to achieve.

However above all have as much fun as you possibly can. There are no bad builds just different looks and ways of doing things. I appreciate all your support and positive feedback like this, as it keeps me going. So many thanks for that. Happy moggeling

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's a great result Steve!

It does make me wonder though. If guys like you can produce such wonderful results from c**p kits, and there are more than a few of you here on the forum, what's to stop manufacturers pointing them out and saying: "Our kits can't be that bad - look what can be made from them! Clearly we don't need to do better."?

'cos you can bet they won't tell anyone about all the effort and changes you put into them!

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Thanks very much for the positive feedback Dave. Much appreciated. I hear what you are saying about the quality of kits. There is also another argument in the sense that these companies will not last long producing substandard kits. This is the second Roden kit I have done and both were shocking. So I for one will not be buying from them again.
Thanks Dirk. Glad you liked it mate
I enjoyed making them Scottie so thanks for pointing them out
Wonderful feedback Jason. Many thanks