Building a 1:50 scale Truck Dock

First Name
Charles
I have been working on a 1/50 scale diorama for someone. It's a truck dock that will handle about 6 trucks. Docks for 4 full fledged truck and trailer and two single trucks without their trailers. Lots of fittings with bits and pieces of XPS to get things to fit perfectly or close. Used lots of XPS to make the structure light but more sturdy. So far so good. The total dimension will be 60 x 100cm. I got an Ikea flat table board to use as a base for this diorama. I also have detailing on the roof, but have to do some painting first. Just commissioned a friend to do some 3D objects for me, for the roof. The 3D drawings look fantastic. Also going to be doing a couple of removable buildings just so the customer can be able to take nice photos without a disturbing background disrupting the scene. We'll see how the end results will turn out. So far things are coming together nicely.

And so it begins:

First Name
Charles
Adding the corrugated clad on portion of the building. Scaled the roof at an angle and cut small pieces of sand paper to represent the black tar-like coverings they used on flat roofs.

First Name
Charles
Scratch build steel door and connecting parts for one of the dock huge sliding doors:

First Name
Charles
Decided to make this particular section with brick work to liven up the construction method. Scaled out the area where the bay doors will be using kapa(posterboard material).

First Name
Charles
I also made a little opening from the back so you can get an outside view from within. This method also is useful if you want to take photos of the loading process or just for a simple reason, that it looks cool. ;) I will add lights but that is a whole different expertise as I am in no way knowledgeable. But I will give it a try.

First Name
Charles
The photos above show that the building dock/bay is not glued to the base as yet as I was just testing it out the visuals in daylight. The dock numbers came from som letters sprue I had found. The dock numbers have changed since these photos were taken.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's coming on beautifully!!! Very well done indeed!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice work Charles. This is developing nicely.

First Name
Charles
Thank you everyone. Glad you like it. Let's hope the new owner will when it is done. :smiling3: