Butcher Birds Beware!

First Name
Chris
View attachment 44485View attachment 44486View attachment 44487View attachment 44488View attachment 44489View attachment 44490View attachment 44491View attachment 44492View attachment 44493View attachment 44494View attachment 44495View attachment 44496

On the evening of 25 May 1943 Spitfire Mk.XIIs from No.91 Nigeria squadron were scrambled from RAF Hawkinge to intercept enemy

aircraft over the Channel which were attempting a night attack.

Squadron leader R.H. Harries shot down two Focke-Wulf 190's from SKG.10 which were attempting to flee across the Channel to France.

My figure painting leaves alot to be desired but am working on it, all comments welcome.

Cheers

Chris

View attachment 47666

View attachment 47667

View attachment 47668

View attachment 47669

View attachment 47670

View attachment 47671

View attachment 47672

View attachment 47673

View attachment 47674

View attachment 47675

View attachment 47676

View attachment 47677

DSCF0934.jpg

DSCF0935.jpg

DSCF0939.jpg

DSCF0943.jpg

DSCF0944.jpg

DSCF0946.jpg

DSCF0947.jpg

DSCF0948.jpg

DSCF0953.jpg

DSCF0957.jpg

DSCF0958.jpg

91_sqdn_1.jpg

M

mobear

magnificent model painting mate,and the figures are really ok to me,awesome

mobear

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That is an excellent Spitfire! Very well judged weathering/wear as well. Your figures look alright to me too.

One very small point. I'm sure that the red crowbar was a post war thing (emergency equipment = red). After the addition of the bars,during the war,they were either steel (natural), black or interior green in colour. They were not solid either,but hollow with an insert at each end.

I have this quote which I can't credit as I have lost the source (apologies).

"Fittings, for crowbars, were installed, on the I & II, from February, 1941, and the crowbars, themselves, were factory-fitted from January, 1942 (mods 320 & 483 apply.)"

So gentlemen not in your BoB Spitfires!

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Chris
Thanks for the comments guys and thanks Steve for the crow bar advice, that's what I love about this sight, I'd never have known that had you not mentioned it and I do love learning more about our subject matter.

Cheers

Chris

A

andyrobs

Hi Chris, cracking work mate, very impressive indeed. The figures look good to me.

Cheers, Andrew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A lovely looking Spitfire. Well done Chris.

As for the crowbar, If you have a couple of hours, the is a thread over on Britmodeller that got to well over ten pages on what the 'proper' colour should be.

I follow the black/green/unpainted theory, although I to am guilty of painting a few red.

Ian M

D

dubster72

Who cares about figures when you can turn out a beautiful Spitfire like this?!

It's brilliant Chris, the paintwork is first class & I think the slightly satin sheen looks just right. Well done!

Cheers

Patrick

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Fabulous looking Spitfire Chris and a nice piece of RAF Hawkinge too! Looks the business and the airfield is very convincing.

One question though, what scale is it? Which kit did you use?

All the best

Paul

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Amazing work Chris. Great diorama setting for your fantastic Spitfire. I also would like to know the scale and kit make please. Fantastic work.

First Name
Chris
Hi Chaps,

Again thanks for the kind words. It's the Airfix 1/48 MKXII which I must say was a nice kit overall (especially for the price). Some reviews have said the panels lines are a bit too heavily engraved which they are compared to other kits but this negates the need for a wash or any kind of effort to pick out said lines. All paints used were Tamiya, which i have just realized might be why i can't seem to get the kind of finish I would like on the figures. So if anyone can recommend a good brand for brush painting figures that would be cool.

Cheers

Chris

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Fantastic job Chris. As regards the paint. Only brand that springs to mind and that I have worked with are the Citadel(Gamesworkshop) acrylic range.

First Name
Chris
Cheers HawkerHunter, I had thought of those as I used to do a bit of wargame figure painting. The only thing might be colour range as my next figure project are some 1/35 WW2 USMC in the pacific but will certainley check out the range.

Regards

Chris

A

andygh

Vallejo Model Color and Panzer Aces are the paints you need, probably the best for figure painting and John sells them in the Scale Model Shop too :banana:

(Andrea Color are fantastic too but they're quite hard to get in the UK)

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Cracking looking diorama Chris.

And it's always nice when a bit of real history is brought to life.

Tony.

T

T. van Vuuren

Stunning build!

I must have missed it, what kit is this?

Theuns

B

Buttonman

Thats one beautifull spitfire mate really like the plaque its on too.

Martin