Caen Panther

First Name
Ty
I finished this diorama a while ago but just got around to taking some pics. Info is as follows:

Kits Used: Dragon Sd.Kfz.171 Panther A Late Production – MiniArt Village Road w/Ruined House – Various Dragon Figures.

Scale: 1/35

Depiction: One of the many battles in and around Caen Jun/Jul 1944.

Modifications/additions: Eduard Photo Etch used for the zimmerit coating on the Panther. A dremel tool was used to simulate chipping and missing pieces of the zimmerit. Modelkasten tracks and an after market metal barrel were also used.

Paint and Finish: Paints used were Lifecolor acrylics for base and camo. Vallejo acrylics and Humbrol enamels were used for the majority of on-board equipment. Weathering was done with oil paints and pigment powders. Dragon figures were painted with Vallejo acrylics and oil paints. Miniart base was completed with home made rubble and tree.

Reason for building model: I wanted to build a diorama that represented a snapshot in the battle in and around Caen during Jun/Jul of 1944. The Panzer Lehr division was moved from Italy to aid in the defence of Normandy and was assigned to defend Caen against the British and Canadian assault. The Panzer Lehr fought to near complete destruction in Caen and the Falaise Pocket.

I hope you enjoy the pics.

S

Sky Raider

Wow. Outstanding work there, well done. How long did it take to complete?.

Andy

F

Fenlander

That is amazing Ty, very well built and finished model. The building looks superb and the scenic background sets it off perfectly. Incredibly high standard all round.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's another stunning dio. I love your little details,the shattered glass in the gas lamp for example.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Ty
\ said:
Wow. Outstanding work there, well done. How long did it take to complete?.Andy
Thanks Andy. It took me a little over three months to complete. Nut there was a lot of other stuff going on as well. We had our IPMS Winnipeg Regional Contest in Sept so that took a lot of my time.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice piece, great composition and very well constructed and painted.

Ron

First Name
Ty
\ said:
That is amazing Ty, very well built and finished model. The building looks superb and the scenic background sets it off perfectly. Incredibly high standard all round.
Thanks Graham. I'm really impressed with the Minart dioramas. They're a great size and have lots of little accessories. Once I got over the difficulties of working with vacu-form they have come along quite well.

First Name
Ty
\ said:
That's another stunning dio. I love your little details,the shattered glass in the gas lamp for example.Cheers

Steve
Thanks Steve. I've found that little details really add to the realism of the diorama. I didn't take any higher angle shots this time but I even have a knife, fork, newspaper, and crushed pewter serving pitcher strewn about the rubble as well.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Now i like that Ty, lots going off. I get a feeling the Panther has just acquired it's next target and about to open fire. Great work, five stars from me. We have a problem Ty, i just got this base (MiniArt Village Road w/Ruined House) and i'm going to have the M10 Achilles on it. Will the Panther still be there or is it going to move on? There is no way i'm going up against a Panther, mind you if i come around the back i can take it out. There's a building and a tree in the way so it can't turn the turret lol.

I get my coat.

Have fun, John

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's another fabulous piece of work Ty! Maybe even better than the desert dio you posted some time ago. ***** from me.

Gern

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice diorama Tyrel! Nice tense atmosphere to the scene and the various parts to it are finished to perfection.

Paul

S

sprayman

Magnificent job Ty, a very well detailed and great building job on this dio,fantastic work.

tiking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Charles
I totally agree with the guys. Really amazing work from you. I love the detail leaves in the tree and the figures are outstanding. Still learning how to build and paint figures so this is truly an inspiration.

G

gillieman

Love that Dio Ty you've done an excellent job on that mini art building, i know what you mean about putting them together they are not the easyiest to work with and i considered it ready for the bin many times over. Well done.

R

Richy C

What a Smashing dio Tyrel 1st class all round , love the background sets the dio off nicely

I seem to be giving these out a lot lately but thats 5 stars from me , the quality of builds just gets better and better on the forum

Richy