Camel Tailfeathers

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well, I was looking for information a few weeks ago on the exact printing information on the old Sopwith Rudder emblems. Barry was kind enough to fill me in.. Looks like I could of waited and purchased everything I needed on EBAY !!http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14050&item=6521162628&rd=1#ebayphotohosting
*** Interesting piece Mark,however I doubt whether this is an original rudder,there are one or two tell tale signs that it is a reproduction,probably from a film replica,however the writing will assist you,thanks for pointing it out to us here.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I'm not saying this isn't genuine but the guy says look at my 100% but yet he has 93.8% and it's "Private" I think this is always a bad sign for sellers, I would steer clear, just my personal thoughts.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This scam has been going on for years even pre E-Bay,have seen everything from a replica P-51 cowling,Blue Max replica badges,replica propellers,pilots & aircraft logbooks,and even locally we had Hitlers diaries for sale,a lot of the material is skillfully produced in Germany,the Phillipines and India,for the ordinary layman who just wants a fancy piece to hang on their wall thats fine,but to pass them on as genuine is fraud.

In this case E-bay themselves are to blame for allowing this silly practise of hidden identities,what is the point of this ? by allowing such practises this leaves it wide open to abuse.

The rudders are poor replicas with incorrect rib taping ( WW1 types had frayed as opposed to serrated or straight edges ) with incorrect hinge points and the wrong sternpost which did not protude past the lower rudder,anyone who knows about old aeroplanes will see they are not genuine and spot the differences straight away.

I have a good idea also where they are coming from in the UK ! steer well clear,whilst genuine parts are very rare from this period in aviation they are not impossible to find,just a lot of luck needed.

Remember the old saying 'Buyer beware' in this case there are sharp practises in force.