Car treasure hunt?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That's interesting Peter - in most of the UK there are no restrictions on photography in public places unless it constitutes an invasion of privacy, which is why Google blurs faces, car registrations and even house numbers.
Pete

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
That's interesting Peter - in most of the UK there are no restrictions on photography in public places unless it constitutes an invasion of privacy, which is why Google blurs faces, car registrations and even house numbers.
Pete
Our data protection law is very similar to the UK and I am not sure exactly how the then DP commissioner stopped Goggle. i suspect that it was more a case of making it difficult for them so they decided not to bother.

Peter

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Yep, did a few Treasure Hunts in the 70's - invariably fund raising events - they had to finish at a pub! Once did a similar thing in the New Forest mid 70's - only on foot. From Naval College 8 groups of 3 were dropped off from a closed van - each group given a OS map, questions & hard tack. Over two days we had to answer all the questions ( like what is the telephone box number at SxxxxxWxxxxx ). & rendezvous at Calshot, where a boat would pick us up. We were all 17-20 year-olds & pretty fit, but there weren't mobile phones ( and no walky talkies. ), so if there had been an accident ( like breaking an ankle ) there would have been strife. We'd been searched & any money confiscated. Due to a tip off, I had 2 £5 notes in the lining of my shoe. Weather was good - got a few questions answered & slept in hedge. We were due to be picked up at 3.00pm the next day - walked a few miles, got some more answers - then, walking on one of the lanes, a painter & decorator stopped & asked what we were doing. We explained - he said jump in the back of the van & I'll take you round & get the remaining answers - then you can buy me a pint!!! Had a few drinks and arrived at the pick up beach at 1 o'clock ( had a swim! ). One of the College Training officers arrived & immediately smelt a rat!! We were far too early! He was grilling us, when an Ice Cream van drove up & disgorged another 3 man group, then a taxi with another bunch! - In the end, I think only 2 groups actually walked. We called it using our initiative, not cheating!
Dave

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Yep, did a few Treasure Hunts in the 70's - invariably fund raising events - they had to finish at a pub! Once did a similar thing in the New Forest mid 70's - only on foot. From Naval College 8 groups of 3 were dropped off from a closed van - each group given a OS map, questions & hard tack. Over two days we had to answer all the questions ( like what is the telephone box number at SxxxxxWxxxxx ). & rendezvous at Calshot, where a boat would pick us up. We were all 17-20 year-olds & pretty fit, but there weren't mobile phones ( and no walky talkies. ), so if there had been an accident ( like breaking an ankle ) there would have been strife. We'd been searched & any money confiscated. Due to a tip off, I had 2 £5 notes in the lining of my shoe. Weather was good - got a few questions answered & slept in hedge. We were due to be picked up at 3.00pm the next day - walked a few miles, got some more answers - then, walking on one of the lanes, a painter & decorator stopped & asked what we were doing. We explained - he said jump in the back of the van & I'll take you round & get the remaining answers - then you can buy me a pint!!! Had a few drinks and arrived at the pick up beach at 1 o'clock ( had a swim! ). One of the College Training officers arrived & immediately smelt a rat!! We were far too early! He was grilling us, when an Ice Cream van drove up & disgorged another 3 man group, then a taxi with another bunch! - In the end, I think only 2 groups actually walked. We called it using our initiative, not cheating!
Dave
Initiative - works for me mate!
Steve

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Did a few on motorbikes back in the early 80s - though usually got lost and opened the 'envelope' to find the finish location and just headed there, usually got a couple of pint head start!