Centurion AVLB (slow build)

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Now before you all get excited, this really is going to be a slow build.
Background.
After the build on my Chieftain Bridgelayer I decided I wanted to add a Centurion AVLB to my collection. So I gathered all of the reference material I could, scaled up drawings from 1/76 to 1/35 scale, printed them out along with other drawings of launch frames etc.
As I had a AFV Club Centurion already in the stash, this was to be the donor kit along with spare etch from Eduard, and a lot of scratch building, mould making and casting of resin parts. As you can see below there is plenty to go on with.
20220728_161823_HDR.jpg20220728_162008_HDR.jpgphotos1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
And so the model has sat around for about three years with just some work on the hull top carried out. And this year I have sat down and got behind the build to where I am today.
20220706_112233.jpg

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
And the first job was to carry on with the upper hull and during breaks the susspension and wheels were assembled. For the wheels I used some resin 'tyres' that I had cast from the ones issued in the kit.
The donkey engine intake and cooling louvres were next on the agenda. These were built up from aluminium sheet and plastic strip with copper wire lifting handles.
Then the auxilery exhaust for the donkey was built up frpm plastic rod, heat bent to shape, with the Asbestos bandage from single sheet strips of tissue. The Crocodile clips were from aluminium strip and the clamping brackets the same. The exhaust silencer (muffler) was scratch built from plastic cross members and again aluminium sheet.
20220715_150826.jpg20220715_150856.jpg20220715_150918.jpg20220722_120843_HDR.jpg20220719_135907.jpg20220718_110622.jpg20220719_135934.jpg

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Next on the list was one of the antennae tuning boxes, the other is on the bridge support frame and will be added later. The whole item was constructed from plastic rod and again some aluminium sheet for the lid of the box. And here it is installed.
20220725_101520_HDR.jpg20220726_101317_HDR.jpg20220726_101336_HDR.jpg20220726_103559_HDR.jpg20220726_103619_HDR.jpg20220728_160724_HDR.jpg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Mike

I'll be honest and say I have no idea what these are supposed to look like other than the very general shape/concept and so very obviously will have to bow to your superior knowledge on the topic.

What I can say is that today already I am seeing some outstanding work on display already. That arm 'thingy' above - sorry don't know the correct name - is a model in its own right.

I can only imagine what it will look like once finished.

Will the bridge be in a partially deployed pose?

Keep up the great work.

Andrew

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Mike

I'll be honest and say I have no idea what these are supposed to look like other than the very general shape/concept and so very obviously will have to bow to your superior knowledge on the topic.

What I can say is that today already I am seeing some outstanding work on display already. That arm 'thingy' above - sorry don't know the correct name - is a model in its own right.

Keep up the great work.

Andrew
Sorry Andrew, I should have put up a pic of the real thing.
Centurion AVLB.jpeg
Mike

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Excellent skills at work,great stuff.
Thankyou Mark.

No need to be cross Mike, the work to date is superb :smiling:
A great project. I admire your meticulous research and your very need scratch work.
Jim
Got it - third read, must be slowing up.

Mike

Keep up the great work.

Andrew
Andrew,
The the 'arm thingy' is called an Antennae Tuning Unit - it is a box used for tuning in the radio(s) and antennae (aerial), and it ia on a piston driven arm that can be lifted into position to place the aerial above the bridge.
The plan for the bridge is not finalised yet, I did pose my Chieftain with the bridge partially deployed and every day I keep expecting it to be in another position...
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening Wibble.
Have I time to set up camp in the top shed ? Should be finished in time for our annual trip to St Ives them .
Wobble

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Evening Wibble.
Have I time to set up camp in the top shed ? Should be finished in time for our annual trip to St Ives them .
Wobble
Evening Hip Wobble
Plenty of time, as we discussed at the last show I intend to get this thing ready plus a couple of others for the show, but not as many as last time. How is the corner house coming along? Have not had much chance to look around the forum for over a week. Been doing a garden makeover for a neighbour a couple of doors down. Bloody garden covered in ivy (My what a big girl Ivy is). Got most of it down and out of the way - then decided to rake over the top of a wasp nest buried in the ground, got a few new lumps - going back tomorrow with a squirty bottle of white spirit and a flame thrower (soldering torch):angry: was has been declared...
Email to follow at the weekend.
Cheers
Hop Wibble....

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew,
The the 'arm thingy' is called an Antennae Tuning Unit - it is a box used for tuning in the radio(s) and antennae (aerial), and it ia on a piston driven arm that can be lifted into position to place the aerial above the bridge.
The plan for the bridge is not finalised yet, I did pose my Chieftain with the bridge partially deployed and every day I keep expecting it to be in another position...
Mike.
Thanks for the explanation!

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Quite an involved build Mike, I like it a lot!