Cheapest airbrushing option (which is as good as using spray paints)

O

os40

Is there a cheap airbrushing option? I'm not looking for anything too extravagant - simply something which is as good as using spray paints. I feel in the long run it would probably save me money.

In terms of toxicity, are airbrushes more toxic than spray paints?

Is it also okay to do the airbrushing outside in the garden? This is how I usually spray paint so none of the fumes enter the house!

I guess I'll need a mask too. What is an adequate mask to buy?

A

andyrobs

Hello mate, I've just purchased my first airbrush kit off ebay, it cost under £5 with free postage!!!! It consisted of the airbrush, tubing, regulator (for connecting to an aerosol can of compressed air) connector for connecting to a compressor and a small spanner. I'm using the aerosol compressed air at the moment, and do my indoors, there is no smell and I think a lot of the toxicity of aerosol paints is in the propellents.

As a first airbrush, and using the cans of compressed air, I am finding it perfectly adequate, and it is a great way of learning new techniques without having to pay out shed loads of money!!!

Cheers, Andrew

A

andyrobs

Sorry it was actually £5.47!!!! Here's a link to it

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Cheers, Andrew

T

tecdes

Morning Os40.

Go for a dual action airbrush. I bought a single action & it caused no end of grief.

Vallejo say their paints are non toxic. They certainly do not smell. The only thing that has an "aroma" is the airbrush cleaner. Go for a proper filter mask which protects against the stuff you use ie if enamels then their is a different filter. That is masks which have a replaceable filter and a range of filters for different tasks. Otherwise you waste your money.

You do not need a compressor with an holding tank unless you are going to spray all day. My research when I bought one showed that piston compressors are best avoid diaphram (spelling) types.

Other things you will need. Air cleaning brushes & a reamer to clean out the nozzle. Thinning agent although some use water. Patience to practice day & night & to look after the needle point as if handling eggs.

Get the right stuff & it is a joy to see the results which I have found improve every time I use the airbrush. My advice is acrylics as they do not smell & are so easy to use.

Phew must go for another airbrush practice session. If I had known some one who can use an airbrush well I would have got them to help & also to watch them. If you have a tee shirt spray your name on character around go & see him.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Gentlemen just because you can't smell something doesn't mean it isn't there.

All spraying creates an aerosol. This can't be a good thing to inhale. I'm not a gambling man anyway but if I was I certainly wouldn't take a punt on my health. Get a decent mask as Laurie suggests it is a sensible investment.

On a lighter note I know that many starters use the air cans as a source of air. These work okay but there are problems. You don't have a consistent air pressure which might make fine detailed work a bit hit and miss. If you are going to stick at the hobby they will not be that economical either. I expect a modest compressor would be paid for in canned air fairly quickly.

Cheers

Steve

D

delmonteman

If you're looking at spending that sort of money try one of these. The brushes are better than OK (I've upgraded mine since) but my compressor's still going strong after a good year or so.

R

roconnell

Beat me to it Andrew just about to post the same compressor, os40 I have this kit, different supplier but I love it! Had it over 12 months.

Same kit here but includes an in-line moisture filter which I found invaluable as it stopped the tiny water droplets appearing in my paint when working in the winter in the shed.

Happy hunting

Rich

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi os , tamiya paints spray lovely, i use them a lot, cheers tony

P

phalinmegob

in my humble opinion, i would not use tamiya acrylics in anything other than an airbrush,i found them far too watery to brush with but then i am crap with a brush.