Chieftain Mk5, Tamiya 1/35

C

CDW

Well after enjoying the building of the two tracked vehicles for my Coutances diorama, i've decided to have a bash at a larger battle tank.

This Tamiya kit was cheap and cheerful so i'll use it as my guinea pig :smiling3:

Going to attempt a standard green "woodland" camoflaged version with all the "grass" style camo addatives, seen a few piccies on t'interweb and i do like the look of them.

Everything will be brush painted in individually mixed acrylics, mainly Citadel and artists watercolours for tonal changes.

The customary box and sprue shots

View attachment 41940View attachment 41941View attachment 41942

Started as per instructions .... the suspension has just a green coat and a black wash to form a base for the weathering.

View attachment 41943View attachment 41944

The wheels were had a runny solution of bi-carb run around the inner rim to give an impression of paint bubbling, this was left to dry before painting and washing.

View attachment 41945View attachment 41946

View attachment 45327

View attachment 45328

View attachment 45329

View attachment 45330

View attachment 45331

View attachment 45332

View attachment 45333

Photo0487.jpg

Photo0488.jpg

Photo0490.jpg

Photo0494.jpg

Photo0495.jpg

Photo0493.jpg

Photo0496.jpg

D

dubster72

Although that kit is supposed to be pretty flawed, I've always had a hankering to do one in a post-nuclear attack dio so I'll be watching this with interest Colin.

You brushwork looks very good too!

Cheers

Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice start Colin.....Number two son gave me one of these for my birthday yesterday, so I have a special interest in the progress.

Flawed, using it as a guinea pig, whatever, I'm sure it will make up into a nice looking kit.

Ron

C

CDW

Thanks for the comments guys......

\ said:
Although that kit is supposed to be pretty flawed,
In what way "flawed" Patrick? is it the detail of the kit or have they got the version wrong and maybe it's an earlier one with a little face lift like i've heard about in some models.

Would be grateful if you'd share your knowledge / thoughts on this if you have time mate thanks.

D

dubster72

\ said:
Thanks for the comments guys......In what way "flawed" Patrick? is it the detail of the kit or have they got the version wrong and maybe it's an earlier one with a little face lift like i've heard about in some models.

Would be grateful if you'd share your knowledge / thoughts on this if you have time mate thanks.
I read somewhere that the turret was the wrong shape & the engine deck was likewise incorrect. Although it's branded as a Mk 5, it's closer to a Mk 3. I think it's because it's one of the old 70's Tamiya kits when motorization was more important than accuracy.

Still looks like a Chieftain to me though!

Cheers

Patrick

P

Plastickitbasher

Very good start, I'll be watching this as I have two of these tanks in my stash

C

CDW

Thanks for the info Patrick, had a look on t'interweb and compared what pictures were available ... it does seem that there's a resemblence between the two tanks in the kit.

\ said:
Still looks like a Chieftain to me though!
Me too ... it'll mostly be hidden behind some grassy camoflage accessories so heyho :smiling3:

yesterdays progress .... going for the "undamaged" but "well used" look.... hope it works.

View attachment 41975View attachment 41976

Just got to get the tracks to sag a bit now, though i could actually leave them be as they are covered by the side armour panels

View attachment 45361

View attachment 45362

Photo0513.jpg

Photo0514.jpg

D

dubster72

I had a look too, just to make sure I wasn't on the wrong track ( hee hee ) & found a list of changeable things as long as your arm! Though really, it's only stuff of interest to proper rivet counters!

The wheels & tracks look good Colin. It's funny how different people work - I always leave wheels & tracks right toll the end!

Keep it coming!

Cheers

Patrick

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Good old Al Capone (thats if you are building Al), going to look great Colin. Patrick is right about having a few flaws but still builds into a nice model, if memory serves me correctly the real thing was flawed too. In the early years the L60 engine was build by British Leyland, case closed lol.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The wheels and tracks are spot on Colin.

It seems to me you had no choice but to do the weathering and finish these now.......It would have been nigh on impossible to leave 'till the last part of the build, after the side armour was fitted.

Having said that, everyone has different methods and stages when building kits.

Cheers,

Ron

C

CDW

thanks chaps.

i will be adding led's to the searchlight, might have got the idea from someones signature .... ahem.... heh heh :smiling3:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
thanks chaps.i will be adding led's to the searchlight, might have got the idea from someones signature .... ahem.... heh heh :smiling3:
Now, whos would that be then!!

First Name
Aaron
\ said:
thanks chaps.i will be adding led's to the searchlight, might have got the idea from someones signature .... ahem.... heh heh :smiling3:
Fantastic. I have always wanted to put a small engine inside an aircraft so the prop spins with batterie.

C

CDW

Got hull together and most bits stuck on turret, both given a base coat and a thin wash to pick out some detail.

Added LED to searchlight

Ready to add mud and have a go at the dry-grass camo i want to have a bash at.

Also need to add front mudflaps as these seem to be on most of the pictures i've referenced on t'interweb.

View attachment 42074View attachment 42075View attachment 42076View attachment 42077View attachment 42078View attachment 42079View attachment 42080

Also, have tamiya changed their plastic? about a dozen attempts before i got two decent pieces ... It used to be the best for stretching to make antenna and rigging ... or is the fact i may be turning into a bumbling retard the problem? answers on a postcard please :smiling3: :smiling3:

View attachment 45455

View attachment 45456

View attachment 45457

View attachment 45458

View attachment 45459

View attachment 45460

View attachment 45461

Photo0515.jpg

Photo0516.jpg

Photo0517.jpg

Photo0518.jpg

Photo0520.jpg

Photo0521.jpg

Photo0522.jpg

M

mobear

hey colin

this there chieftain is looking treeemendouuus mate,i need to learn how to put lights in as i`m gearing up to do the Illustrious and want to put lighting in it and on it.also where abouts in this bonnie land do you hale from?

mobear

C

CDW

The lights were just cheap (poundshop) xmas tree lights, i bought a load in red blue and clear for future projects when they had a sale (50p per set of twenty)

It's just basically drill a hole and trail the cable back to the little battery box ...

I'm in Loanhead, just south of Edinburgh ... when i go sea fishing i'm north-west side of Inchkeith so i could shout over to you ... you're in Burntisland aren't you? :smiling3: :smiling3: