Churchill Sandwich

S

SAS007

Hi all

As you guys enjoyed my last 2 posts here is one more just now.

Done this about a 1 1/2 years ago.

Saw this picture and thought I'd give it a go as I had a few Churchill kits I'd bought off E-Bay

My rendition

Worked off the one picture. The top Churchill is one I built awhile ago with the mine plough removed and a piece of track placed where the holes to fit plough are located.

Banks are made of polystyrene covered with tissue and covered with PVA glue watered down, left to dry then hand painted.

Will look out some figures to fit on and around later.

Will have to adjust the off ramps as wires connecting them are too lose.

Hope you like it

Steve

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi steve , wow,thats a lot of churchills!! I think its great when a dio is based on an actual event or photo , gives you a real feel for it, well done. The rocks are great too. cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's really good! Such an unusual picture just begs to be made into a diorama and you're doing a fabulous job of it.

Am I right in thinking that the bottom two Churchills are the bridge laying variant?

Gern

R

Richy C

Never seen anything like that , if it was not for the photo I would have thought - that looks odd , whats that all about ?

nice one

Richy

S

SAS007

Gern,

The bottom 2 are Churchill ARKs.

There are a few variants.

N

noble

Nice one steve unusual photo it makes a very interesting dio though very nice i like it. What scale is this in?

scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A very nice and interesting composition, well done Steve.

Have you any information on the actual picture? I have been having a look and the bank in the background is obviously man made and I wondered if it was the Suez Canal?

Another thing I noticed that I have not seen before, is what looks like a full set of tank tracks laid down in the gully.

Thank you for sharing not only your diorama, but the photo too.

Ron

S

SAS007

Hi Scott,

Scale is 1/72

The funny thing is that with the base built of polystyrene it looks heavy but is quite light.

When some people ask for a closer look they expect it to be a weight but are quite surprised.

Ron,

Someone gave me the following infomation about the picture....

51st RTR was transferred to 25th Armoured Engineer Brigade when it was formed in December 1944.

While the two ARKs belonged to 51st RTR the Na75 crossing was 'Armagh' of 'A' Squadron, North Irish Horse, consequently

the triangle should be coloured red. The photograph of her does not show it being obscured my netting, however, without her name on the louvres, as often happened she was probally a replacement being deployed before there was time to add her name, turret markings, etcetera. As mentioned in my posting, having served in 'B' Squadron, I cannot recall her Troop. It was the practice of the NIH to carry names forward as tanks were replaced for whatever reason, The last tank I crewed 'Ballyrashane' a Mark V was the sixth Churchill to carry the name.

Steve C

Last edited:
M

Montyman

Nice work mate! I have the same picture in a book on military vehicles and it is captioned as being in Italy. I thought about doing something similar. Then I thought about all those roadwheels!