Classic Airframes Sea Venom

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
While waiting for the Phantom SIG to kick off. I started on this Kit from Classic Airframes. The DH Sea Venom in 1/48.

I was going to do it as per the box art, as I like the smile :smiling: Having painted the bottom white, I then saw that there was a decal set for one from Ark Royal during the Suez Crisis... So the bottom got repainted in sky.

I also had to paint the Suez stripes as there are no decal for this on the sheet.

Will the nice people that make masking tape wake up and make tapes that scale out to the most used stripes 12 and 18" please. The black yellow stripes are, on fighters, 12inch which in this scale is 1/4" or 7 mm. As well we know tapes come in 6 or 8 mm!! So like all dedicated modellers I said sod it and painted them 6mm.

Nuff about that!

Paints are Xtracrylix Sky and xD Sea Grey for the top. The stripes in Vallejo model color.

The Kit: Old but obtainable. At a price :confused: I could not find someone willing to sell one and send it to Denmark, so I got John to buy it on my behalf. Thanks for that John.

View attachment 59771

The Box art.

View attachment 59781 View attachment 59780 View attachment 59779 View attachment 59782

A few in build pictures, of the office before is all got hidden away.

And the finished bird.

View attachment 59778 View attachment 59777 View attachment 59776 View attachment 59775 View attachment 59774 View attachment 59773 View attachment 59772

Hope you like it and comments are welcome.

Ian M

View attachment 61525

View attachment 61526

View attachment 61527

View attachment 61528

View attachment 61529

View attachment 61530

View attachment 61531

View attachment 61532

View attachment 61533

View attachment 61534

View attachment 61535

View attachment 61536

171012 Sea Venom.jpg

IMAG0896.jpg

IMAG0897.jpg

IMAG0898.jpg

IMAG0899.jpg

IMAG0900.jpg

IMAG0901.jpg

IMAG0902.jpg

IMAG0876.jpg

IMAG0877.jpg

IMAG0878.jpg

IMAG0879.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice build Ian, your Sea Venom looks very smart indeed.

T

treyzx10r

Ian very awesome looking build! I feel your pain about the stripes,hate having to cut the masking tape to scale as well! You did a great job on the mask job,looks nice and crisp. 5stars from me ,very nicely done Sir! BTW I've been eyeballing these on evilbay and having never built a Classic kit before I'm hesitant,how are they?

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great job Ian looks very nice indeed. As for the stripes i would not have known if you had not told us 5 stars from me

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Trey, they are pretty good on the whole. It pays to find a review though before you part with the hard earned.

Some are better than others.

They are short run products so don't expect tamigawa quality.

One I really want is the gannet, but starting price of £80 and ending at

150!!!

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
A nice build of a pretty bird Ian. I do like these post war twin boomers.

And who cares if the stripes are 6 or 7mm wide, it looks right and that's what counts.

5 stars from me too.

Tony.

C

CDW

Well i would give you 5 stars but as the stripes are only 6mmm and not 7mm .............

Nah only joking mate ... i wouldn't have a clue ... it's a flying thing and i know diddly squat !!!!

Going just on the looks and build quality of the model you get ......

Yep you guessed it ... 5 Stars

One thing, the underside, it looks clean but slightly weathered ... i like the look of it .... how do you personally get that effect (wash?, preshading?)??

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks. I just gave it a wash with oil paint Paynes Grey. Let it dry then wipe off with a lint free cloth.

There was a pre shade under the white, but that hardly shows.

Ian m

C

CDW

simple but effective ... got that info stored in me grey matter ... thanks Ian.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top build Ian , i love the look of the venoms and vampires too, i might have to get one now! 5 stars , cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Don't do this to me Ian, my local Modelzone has had the 'Dragon' Sea Venom on it's shelf for quite a while and so far have been able to resist it. Their Sea Vixen was a nice kit, so I am very tempted. Seem to recall that the 'sky' was called duck egg green in the old days.

You've done a lovely job of a classic aircraft. 5 Star from me too. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks chaps.

Tony, lets not even start on the sky/duck egg green LOL.

Derek, is that the 1/72 scale one? I hear the new one from Airfix is pretty good as well.

Been looking at the FAW 1 conversion for the Vixen..... Oh bum I might just 'have' to get me one of those...

This one has given me a problem! Do I put it with the others from Ark Royal, or with the others from Suez!!!

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Good build Ian, not a subject I've seen built too often - cool stripes.

Colin M..

T

treyzx10r

\ said:
Trey, they are pretty good on the whole. It pays to find a review though before you part with the hard earned.Some are better than others.

They are short run products so don't expect tamigawa quality.

One I really want is the gannet, but starting price of £80 and ending at

150!!!
Thanks Ian that makes total sense. I 'm with you on the Gannet so want one but so can'nt see paying that much for a single engine 1/48 kit. Again great looking Venom!cheers Trey