Cleaning An Airbrush

N

Neill

Just thought I'd check and see what different habits people have cleaning their airbrushes out. I have only used mine a few times from it being bought (about an hours total spraying time in total if even that) and I just did the usual clean the cup, backflush about three times and clean/wipe the needle routine. I would have said that it wouldnt be classed as a heavy session hence me not doing a full deep clean. I also do the obligatory clean between colour changes.

The way some magazines and tutorials on Youtube makeout is that you have do do a deep clean everytime you finish a session. Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this. I have used only Tamiya acrylic paint up to now although in the future I intend to use Vallejo Model Color & Model Air and Revell enamels at some point. I have an Iwata BR. Thanks in advance.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I give it a full clean after every session before I put it away, and every so often I chuck it all in a sonic cleaner, you have a good ab treat it well it should last you years

T

tecdes

Hi Neil

I unhook my brush from the airline & give it a good swish in fresh water which gets rid of most of the wet paint.

This leaves the airbrush cleaner to work on what is left. Hook up again & pass a paint cup of air cleaner thro at the pressure used for painting.

I then remove the nozzle & clean in freshwater with the needle. I withdraw & mount back the needle thro the nozzle end rather than the backend which avoids the sharp end of the needle making contact. Replace the nozzle & then slide the needle into the nozzle & adjust.

Like John I use a sonic cleaner. He chucks his in I lay mine in !!!!! Matter of interest John do you use an additive in your sonic cleaner & if so does it make a difference ? I have only used freshwater so far.

Laurie

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Laurie, I don't really chuck it in I too lay it in :smiling3: I use about 3/4 warm water 1/4 ab cleaner but I soak the small bits in the cleaner before adding it to the water, forgot to say I also use a spray can of reamer which comes with a tube to back blow the nozzle.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I do as laurie but add screen wash to my sonic cleaner.

Vaughan

A

andygh

I flush through the AB & clean the needle after every colour

Every week or so I strip it & give it a good going over

It works for me :thumbsup:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well I'm just a lazy b#gger then. I give the brush a good flush and clean the needle at the end of a days work. I don't strip and clean (the airbrush,not myself) unless something gets a bit sticky. At the end of a build I will completely strip the brush,give all the bits a soak and then give them a whizz in an ultrasonic cleaner. After that I lubricate and reassemble it,ready for the next project.

I spray all sorts through my airbrushes and have an elderly Iwata BR that works as well now as the day I bought it. It is missing a bit of chrome now!

Cheers

Steve