Cleaning brushes

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi all, can I ask how do you all clean your brushes after using such things as decals sol/set and varnish, while I'm on here do people have a preference to type and size of brushes.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Sol/set just rinse out with water, but don't use good brushes as it ruins the bristles. Everything else, I use The Masters brush cleaner that Jim linked to - didn't pay that much though!

Pete

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thanks for replies, have just ordered The Masters brush cleaner, as recommended. Got some good brushes and want to keep them as new as possible.

zuludog

SMF Supporter
I use mostly enamel paints
Over the years I've cleaned them with paraffin/kerosene; white spirit/mineral thinners; and turpentine substitute for regular cleaning.
For an extra clean I've used cellulose thinners and proprietary brush cleaner like Polyclens
I've also washed them afterwards with washing up liquid or ordinary soap

All these have worked to a greater or lesser extent, but still seem to leave a bit of paint left deep in the brush
Then several months ago I discovered Masters Brush Cleaning Soap, and it's excellent!. It cleans thoroughly and restores the shape & quality of the brush
Watch videos on YouTube to see it in use

Now I clean with white spirit for regular or routine cleaning, and Masters now & again for a better clean

I've used various brushes - sable, synthetic, average to best quality, but have now settled on Winsor & Newton Sceptre Gold 11
They are a sable - synthetic mixture, with the qualities of sable but slightly springier and more resilient, and cheaper