Cleaning Models

• Thread starter Deleted member 5496
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5496

Cheekily put this under weathering.

Got all my models on shelves near 60.

Builders have been opposite & tried hard over two years to change my models into fur coats.
Not bothered to clean as it would be a wasted effort.

However now they are near finished they have cloaked the building in plastic. Weird.
Not English or Jersey Builders. They are.................... please fill in.

And so to business. How do you clean your models ? Most of mine are 1/48.

All answers using a dishwasher will be binned.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 5496

Thanks Dan Barry & Chris.

Suspect that after I have dusted I may have to clean.
This builders stuff which came out of land fill is not sticky
but does need a bit extra after dusting.

Can only think of a mild dish washer water liquid.
Only thing I can think of. any other ideas gratefully received.

Laurie

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 5496

Laurie,
Have you thought of trying using an airbrush (unloaded), or a camera lens cleaning brush, to gently waft that unwanted beastly business away?
Steve
Hi Steve. Yes I have the H & S blower I use to chase hairs before airbrushing. Had a go with it at 40PSI
Got rid of all the fluffy top surface stuff . Unfortunately needs a wash to get it back to its original state.

Thinks, the Vicar did say Pauline would obey me mmm I wonder. :tongue-out:

Laurie

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I usually use a large, soft paintbrush, of the kind used to paint houses, and for small areas a soft brush intended for painting models. Oh, and blow on them with my mouth :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Its not the dust which is the problem but the air borne grease. No amount of blowing or brushing will remove that, how do I know because I've been there !

May be a light application of washing-up liquid mixed with some warm water might help, but all depends on how delicate the area or model is.

D

Deleted member 5496

Its not the dust which is the problem but the air borne grease. No amount of blowing or brushing will remove that, how do I know because I've been there !

May be a light application of washing-up liquid mixed with some warm water might help, but all depends on how delicate the area or model is.

As mentioned above on the same lines John. Thanks for your input.

Stuff from the building site makes the windows yucky only a wash does the trick.

When will you be available ? :tears-of-joy:

Laurie

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have once or twice given a model a luke warm bath in soapy water. Was quite clean after but took for ever to get the water out of it. LOL.
Bath it, brush with a soft brush and rinse off under running water. Blow down with the air brush.

Also this is a very good way of finding out if you remembered to lock all the decals down under a final coat of clear coat!

D

Deleted member 5496

I have once or twice given a model a luke warm bath in soapy water. Was quite clean after but took for ever to get the water out of it. LOL.
Bath it, brush with a soft brush and rinse off under running water. Blow down with the air brush.

Also this is a very good way of finding out if you remembered to lock all the decals down under a final coat of clear coat!

Thanks Ian. Sounds exciting.

Have you any free time. :smiling5:

Laurie

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Three stage clean…..
1. Dust with a soft brush to remove all loose material.
2. Damp brush using a soft brush moistened (damp, not wringing wet) with a mild dish soap solution. This should mobilise the greasy component of the dust. Rinse and remoisten the brush regularly during this stage or you’ll give the model an all over coat of crud.
3. Damp brush with a soft brush moistened with clean water to remove the dish soap and dirt. Again rinse and redampen the brush regularly. This strange may need repeating a couple of times to remove all the crud.
For any stubborn areas repeat stages two and three as required.

I used to do this with my models every couple of years until I got some glass fronted cabinets.

D

Deleted member 5496

Three stage clean…..
1. Dust with a soft brush to remove all loose material.
2. Damp brush using a soft brush moistened (damp, not wringing wet) with a mild dish soap solution. This should mobilise the greasy component of the dust. Rinse and remoisten the brush regularly during this stage or you’ll give the model an all over coat of crud.
3. Damp brush with a soft brush moistened with clean water to remove the dish soap and dirt. Again rinse and redampen the brush regularly. This strange may need repeating a couple of times to remove all the crud.
For any stubborn areas repeat stages two and three as required.

I used to do this with my models every couple of years until I got some glass fronted cabinets.

Difficult to enclose when the dioamas are 8feet in length. Plus depsite having to clean I like to have them
as near to authenticity as possible (& comfort bed underneath to proctect them at night.

Thanks for the info Tim. (no acid).

Laurie

D

Deleted member 5496

Adopted method.

Blow away with air brush top bits.

Small amount of washing up liquid in warmish water.

Very hairy stick gently not much liquid give a very gentle scrub. Refreshing frequently.

Blow dry with air brush. Actually just thought a hairdryer on low.

Makes a difference all the colours appear. Sad but the grass is not immune so a bit of
vacuuming & a bit of washing up liquid mixture.

Laurie

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I do the three stage clean as well but needn't now 'cos they're all under glass cases. Unfortunately Victor wasn't covered so suffered the consequences of being wiped off the planet by a paw.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 5496

I do the three stage clean as well but needn't now 'cos they're all under glass cases. Unfortunately Victor wasn't covered so suffered the consequences of being wiped off the planet by a paw.

Cheers,
Richard

Need 4 8foot long cases Richard. Also bed has to stay as sleeping up right is not an option.

Fortunately the only paw around here has been controlled over a 60 year period
Pauline would love to spray polish & shine up my little thingeses .

Laurie

Thanks for all the time & replies much appreciated.