Coaling tower

• Thread starter Deleted member 8703
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8703

It is a structure used to fill coal tenders on a steam engine. The hoist house is located below the coal tower. I am still building the frame where the coal will be stored.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It is a structure used to fill coal tenders on a steam engine. The hoist house is located below the coal tower. I am still building the frame where the coal will be stored.
thanks Chris looking forward to watching it come together.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Some British ones didn’t use a hoist, just gravity.....they had a steep slope with a track on it which the wagons were unloaded directly into the filling hopper.
E8D8DD15-6A1A-4784-86DD-EF1A0C05D3FA.jpeg
......the hard bit was shoving the coal wagons up the slope apparently......

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice start by the way....it’s interesting for me to see how things were done on the other side of the water.....

D

Deleted member 8703

Speaking of water...I hope to visit the UK next year...want to go to the Tank Museum in Bovington.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
There's a pretty nice one here in the States as well Chris.....Patton Museum at Fort Knox as well as the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland. Might give them a whirl as well, if you haven't already been there.
Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Chris, what are the kit buildings made of please?

Thank you.
Ron

D

Deleted member 8703

These kits are wood in ho scale...my interest to visit Bovington is to see the Tiger tank and to attend Tank Fest once the COVID restrictions are lifted...I was stationed at Fort Knox in the mid 80’s.

D

Deleted member 8703

Okay so you make a kit...a detailed kit...but your instructions are sooooooooooo horrible...what is it with these kit makers...if you are going to take the time to make a detailed kit then by all means do the same with your instruction manual...am I alone here?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Chris,

Coming on very nicely indeed.

Covington is amazing. If you're coming for Tankfest, you'll need a second day just to get around the museum.

I've been to Bovvy the times in the past five years or so, including for a Tankfest and I know from the Tankfest experience I don't think I actually even got into the main part of the museum.

ATB.

Andrew